CAN'T CLEAR EVAP TO PASS INSPECTION, STILL SHOWING "NOT READY"

2003 Mazda MPV

dmitryshamilov

August, 14, 2012 AT 11:24 PM

Check engine came up, got oxygen sensor replaced, drove around 40 miles, evap isn't ready along with issue with catalytic con. Mechanic said, let engine cool off for 8 hours, idle for 2 mintues and drive around 50mph for 20 minutes, did that still no good. Before that I drove the car for a good 200 miles but no particular drive cycle. Total mileage after initial repair is at least 400. Went on google today and found mazda 2003 drive cycle (attached is a chart) it says for EVAP to T2 (more than 15 minutes) and go 40-50 mph (V2) for 300 seconds and to idle for 200 seconds. Will try that tomorrow, but what exactly is T2 (more than 15 minutes)? Just start car and wait 15 minutes (idle)? Any other advice you have for me? 10 day extension for inspection is over but no tickets yet.

August, 14, 2012 AT 11:57 PM

You need cold soak for 8 hours. Must reach normal operating temp, gas tank between 15 and 85%. Then a run of 55 mph for 10 minutes varying speed with no brakes applied. If the monitor does not set, then there is a problem in the system.

Why are you at this to start? Was there an issue?

dmitryshamilov

August, 15, 2012 AT 12:01 AM

Ok I think I did these steps but probably applied breaks a few times and maybe the engine was slightly heated, so i'll repeat these steps again tomorrow and try not to apply breaks. I had a check engine light, oxygen sensor needed to be replaced ( for inspection to pass) and now I have to drive around for EVAP to be ready in order to pass. Roy, few questions, 1. Did you see attached chart, what's with the t2 15 minutes idle before driving? I have to do this tomorrow too? Or just get on highway and drive 55 for 10 min w/ no breaks. 2. If monitor does not set, what could be the problem in the system and whats the solution? Thanks

August, 15, 2012 AT 12:27 AM

Have no clue what the problem would be at this point. A shop would have to do the testing with a scan tool.

Do what I said tomorrow make sure no breaks or you will stop the monitor from running.

dmitryshamilov

August, 15, 2012 AT 2:37 AM

Ok Roy will do. Do I warm it up a bit? 2 minutes or so and go? Its about 80F in NY

August, 15, 2012 AT 2:47 AM

Nope, just start it up and go

dmitryshamilov

August, 16, 2012 AT 1:43 AM

Hey Roy, did what you told me and it worked, but got more bad news, check engine came up, went to mechanic, got code P0421, he said my cat needs to be replaced, faulty. He also reset the code again.
2 question for you sir, what would a job like that run me? 2003 mazda mvp. I would assume $300 for cat + 2 hours of labor? Also, I didnt ask him but wondered if EVAP is "ready" now so I can at least do inspection. Thanks for your help.

August, 16, 2012 AT 3:19 AM

No inspection with the check engine light on.

Clearing it cleared the monitors and they need to be re run again.

Price for cat is about right. You will have to do the process again.

Evap System Components