ENGINE MISSES AT IDLE AND WORSE UNDER HEAVY LOAD OR ACCELERATION

2003 Mazda b2300

hoss55

June, 25, 2012 AT 1:43 PM

My wife just got a 2003 Mazda B2300 from her dad with 62000 miles on it. It started easy and still starts easy. It ran great for about 650 miles, then it started missing at idle and when pulling a hill. Taking it out of overdrive doesn't help. We ran a bottle of gas treatment through it. It didn't help. Sitting in my drive I can hammer the throttle and it has a hesitation before the motor revs. I can ease on the throttle and it will rev up until after 3000 rpm then it won't rev up anymore. It will start missing really bad. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

racefan966

June, 25, 2012 AT 4:20 PM

Is the engine light on? What all have you done to this point?

hoss55

June, 25, 2012 AT 6:22 PM

The engine light is not on. The only thing we did is run some carb/injector cleaner through it. It didn't help. I thought it may be needing some plugs, plug wires or maybe even a coil pack. But I have limited knowledge and am very limited on funds right now. So I can't afford to make too many guesses.

racefan966

June, 26, 2012 AT 3:33 PM

Ok I would start with spark plugs and see how the old ones look if needed take a pic of one or two and I will tell you what I think ok. Wires should not be needed yet unless something happened to one of them and as for a coil pack only if it fails do you need to replace it so being that it starts and runs I would replace it. Now also I would get some mass air flow cleaner and clean the mass air flow unit too.

hoss55

June, 26, 2012 AT 4:36 PM

Thanks! I'll try that and get back to you.

racefan966

June, 27, 2012 AT 1:07 AM

Sound great.