C1233 & C1234 OBD2 ERROR CODES -

2003 Ford Focus

Daniel Routhier

February, 28, 2012 AT 5:14 PM

When I plugged in an OBD2 scanner into my vehicule (Ford Focus 2003 ZTS 2.0L, VIN on demand) a few months ago, I got a C1234 (Speed Wheel RF Input Signal Missing) error code. When I plugged in my OBD2 scanner a month ago, I had both C1233 (Speed Wheel LF Input Signal Missing) and C1234 error code. When I plugged in my OBD2 Scanner last night, I only had the C1233 error code. What can cause these alternating (on/off) error codes, and what can I do to fix it.

Of course, my ABS and TC (traction control) yellow light are both illuminated on my dashboard. My neighbord has already checked the ABS connectors with a ohm-meter and apparently the signal is good. Is my ABS module going on the fritz, or could my tone ring in front be damaged/dirty? He also cleaned around the ABS Connector / Bearing area but it did not make the error codes go away. Everytime that I clear the codes they come back after a few second of driving. Ford dealership wants a lot of money to even diagnose what the issue is. Should I pursue getting this repaired? Is there a common fault with Foci having this type of issue? Please help !

merlin2021

February, 29, 2012 AT 9:36 AM

Most Fords have the reluctor built into the hub bearing, yours might be on the way out.

Daniel Routhier

February, 29, 2012 AT 10:59 PM

Is there any way to test this out or is it a "change them and see what happens" kind of deal?

merlin2021

March, 1, 2012 AT 10:49 AM

I will look up the testing specs when I get home later, but your ring is on the axle. Moist sensors on Ford test at 800-2300 ohms.

Daniel Routhier

March, 1, 2012 AT 1:59 PM

If you have any TSBs, or schematics, or diagrams, or pictures, it would be well appreciated,

Thanks.

merlin2021

March, 1, 2012 AT 3:42 PM

Dan drop me an email at merlin2021@comcast. Net often when I look stuff up, I can put a pdf file together out of the info. The email it to you.

Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Rear
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Honda Rear
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Chevrolet
Brake Pads and Rotor Replacement - Front Ford
Bleed and Flush Your Brake System Correctly
Parking Brake Shoe Replacement Chevy Tahoe
Brake Pads and Rotor Replacement - Front