GETTING COOLANT IN THE ENGINE OIL

2003 Ford F-150

aaowens17

February, 16, 2012 AT 1:37 PM

Hey guys, I am having a problem with my 2003 ford f-150. I am getting coolant in the oil. It only shows up on engine cap, but not on dip stick. I've done a pressure test on all cylinder heads. Had no leak. Ive heard that on the 5.4 l have had some problem?

I have no idea why this has happened I just am hoping it ain't a blown head

Great site : -)

Wrenchtech

February, 16, 2012 AT 2:39 PM

If it's only showing up on the cap it's only condensation and nothing to worry about.

February, 16, 2012 AT 6:11 PM

WHAT YOU ARE SEEING PROBABLY LOOKS LIKE "WHITISH" OR "YELLOWISH"!

COMBUSTION PRODUCES ALL KINDS OF GASSES, TO INCLUDE WATER VAPOR

"BLOW-BY" IS WHERE SOME OF THIS STUFF SORTA "GETS PAST" THE PISTON RINGS AND "SEEPS" INTO YOUR CRANKCASE (IF WE LIVED IN A PERFECT WORLD, THIS WOULD NEVER BE ALLOWED TO HAPPEN!)

BUT IT DOES, NEW OR OLD ENGINE, THE MORE WEAR, MAYBE THE WORSE BLOW-BY IS

YOUR POSITIVE CRANKCASE VENTILATION (PCV) REMOVES THE GASSES, THEN SORTA RE-BURNS THEM, AS SOME OF THESE GASES ARE CORROSIVE (THE WHOLE REASON, THE PCV IS THERE, IS TO REMOVE THEM)

INSURE THE PVC SYSTEM IS STILL CONNECTED CORRECTLY, MAKE SURE THE PCV VALVE OPERATES (IT'S SORTA A TUNE-UP EXPENDABLE ITEM, THAT MAY BE OVERDUE ON REPLACEMENT)

THE SOURCE FROM WHICH THE VACUUM COMES FROM, COULD BE PARTIALLY BLOCKED, AS IT ENTERS TE MANIFOLD. ON MY JEEP, THIS WAS THE CASE A LONG TIME AGO, I HAD GOOD VACUUM ON A GAUGE---JUST NOT ENOUGH FLOW. THERE WAS GRAYISH/ SILVERY BUILD-UP IN THE "N. IPPLE" AT MY INTAKE MANIFOLD. AFTER CRUNCHING IT OUT, I HAD TO READJUST THE CARB. IT WAS GETTING CORRECT AIRFLOW NOW, IT HAD BE ADJUSTED EARLIER WITH THE WRONG FLOW OF AIR. THE "SNOT" SOON DISAPPEARED FROM MINE.

CAN YOU HANDLE IT, OR DO YOU MAYBE NEED DIAGRAMS OR SUCH?

Wrenchtech

February, 16, 2012 AT 6:57 PM

If you have foam on the cap, it is condensation, nothing else. Blowby has absolutely nothing to do with it. Please ignore the previous answer.

February, 16, 2012 AT 7:48 PM

HAD TO WIPE THE SNOT OFF OF MY MONITOR

SEE THIS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1Jb_sfpZsI

Wrenchtech

February, 16, 2012 AT 8:15 PM

Again. PCV and/or blowby have absolutely nothing to do with moisture or coolant inside the filler cap.

February, 17, 2012 AT 3:17 AM

DO AS YOU WISH

WIPE THE SNOT ON YOUR PANTS LEG AND DRIVE ON, AS SUGGESTED

. OR INVESTIGATE WHY YOUR TRUCK HAS SNOT AND EVERYBODY ELSE'S DOES NOT

I ONLY TRY TO HELP, AND GIVE OPTIONS

aaowens17

February, 17, 2012 AT 7:57 AM

I will change the pdf tomorrow. But the milky substance isn't foam its like a runny goo. When this first started I noticed it and my trucked started running really hot. So I assumed it was a head gasket. I tried this stuff called steal seal. And all systems went away for about 1a year. Now I am getting that goo again and I called steal seal and they sent me another set of sealer to try again. Well now I have a oil leak somewhere high near top of engine. But no overheating yet. Should I get the pcv and pinpoint leak to c if that fixed problem or should I try something different?

Wrenchtech

February, 17, 2012 AT 10:43 AM

There is no such thing as "mechanic in a can". All those additives will end up doing is plugging up the rest of your system. I'll say again, the guy posting that stuff about PCVs and blow-by is not a mechanic and way off the mark with that advice. If you truly have a blown head gasket, which I doubt, you need to remove the head and repair it properly but it requires a lot mot testing first to find out if that is even the case.

Oil Change/Filter Replacement Hyundai Sonata
Oil Change and Filter Replacement BMW 525i
Engine Oil Change and Filter Honda Element
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Chevrolet
Engine Oil Change and Filter Honda CR-V
Engine Oil Change and Filter Ford Mustang