HELP!!!!

2003 Dodge Neon

juanp215

April, 11, 2011 AT 8:10 PM

Dodge neon 2003 engine light flashing, car shaking and bad odor. What could it be? Is my car still drivable?
Car got a new battery, new coils, new spark plug and new timing belt in January this year. I need answers please!

April, 11, 2011 AT 8:42 PM

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/service-engine-soon-or-check-engine-light-on-or-flashing

Have the computer scanned for code/s-you have a problem within the engine management system that caused the CEL to turn on-This is your starting point of diagnosis,finding out what's going on

juanp215

April, 11, 2011 AT 9:33 PM

Code is P0440

Wrenchtech

April, 11, 2011 AT 9:38 PM

That code is not causing the check engine light to flash. There has to be other codes in there.

April, 11, 2011 AT 9:49 PM

Shaking the booty and nasty smell for away from the Evap System-here's what P0440 means-Like Wrench said it has to be something else that the brain is sensing with its parameters/actuators-rescan it a few times and erase it and see what happens

A code P0440 could mean one or more of the following has happened: The gas cap is not installed or working properly
The purge solenoid has failed
The canister is plugged and not working properly
Possible Solutions With a P0440 OBD-II trouble code, diagnosis can be tricky at times. Here are some things to try: Remove and reinstall the gas cap, clear the code, and drive for a day and see if the codes come back.
Inspect the EVAP system for cuts/holes in tubes/hoses
Inspect for damaged or disconnected hoses around the Evap purge solenoid
Check and/or replace the sensor
Check and/or replace the purge valve
Have a professional use a smoke machine to detect leaks

juanp215

April, 11, 2011 AT 9:50 PM

The light only flashed 1 out of the 4 times we turned the car on, when that happened the car was shaking really bad and I smelled and odor like rotten eggs, now the car doesn't shake anymore but the engine light in ON not flashing anymore.

April, 11, 2011 AT 10:12 PM

Scan it again and let us know if its a P0420 which involves the snitcher and the scrubber in other words the oxygen sensor/s and the catalytic converter

Blend Door Actuator Replacement
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Honda Civic
Air Conditioner Condenser Fan Relay Replace
Cabin Air Filter Replacement