Ignition key tumbler is stuck I need to replace it please?

DSTETZER
  • 2003 CHEVROLET S-10
Key is stuck in the ignition in the on position and will not come out. Steering wheel is not locked and the engine will start when clutch pedal is pressed. Do you have any advice for me to get the ignition off and key out?
Saturday, July 23rd, 2011 AT 12:29 PM

WRENCHER1
You likely have either a broken lock or broken electric switch and it will have to be replaced. Here are the instructions on how to replace the ignition key and tumbler(lock). Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.
Saturday, July 23rd, 2011 AT 12:55 PM
DILL-11
  • 2003 CHEVROLET S-10
Switch stuck will not turn on or back truck in park. No buzzer sound with key in switch.
Tuesday, May 4th, 2021 AT 1:31 PM (Merged)
KEN

It sounds like the ignition lock has gone bad which is common. Here are some guides to help you get the problem fixed.

You will need to have the key programmed at the dealer.

Please let us know what happens.

Cheers, Ken
POWERS009
  • 1997 CHEVROLET S-10
How do I replace the tumbler switch of the ignition on my 97 chevy s 10?
SWILLIAMS
Remove the lower plastic cover, Then the upper one from the steering column. With those covers off you will find a small hole on the top of the column above the key cylinder. You insert a small wire into that hole and push the release pin. The cylinder will pull out. Then insert the new one and push it in to lock it. Then put the covers back on. Thats the simplified version.
JOE PULY
  • 1997 CHEVROLET S-10
How do I replace the cylinder/tumbler of my ignition?
Hi:
To replace it, you need to remove the steering wheel and part of the steering column to access it. If the car has an air bag, I would recommend purchasing a good repair manual with step by step instructions and pictures to identify parts.
MAKENN
  • 1997 CHEVROLET S-10
Hey, I was wondering where I could find the ignition switch on my pickup and also what it looked like so I could put a push switch on it instead?
+1
Tuesday, May 4th, 2021 AT 1:32 PM (Merged)
BLUELIGHTNIN6
Ignition switch is where the key goes. Should be on the steering column and on newer model vehicles it is sometimes found on the dash.
MAKENN
No, b/c from the ignition switch housing, you have a rod that goes down to the actual switch in the column and then from there it connects the circuit and starts the pickup. I was wondering where in the column.
+1
BLUELIGHTNIN6
Ok the actual switch is located on top of the steering column assembly and it is completely inaccessible without first lowering the steering column. details for removing the switch are below. just remove the components until you reach it.

Disconnect the negative battery cable.
Remove the lower column trim panel, then remove the steering column-to-instrument panel fasteners and carefully lower the column for access to the switch.
Remove the turn signal switch from the column and allow it to hang from the wires (leaving them connected). Remove the buzzer switch assembly.
Carefully remove the lock cylinder screw and the lock cylinder. If possible, use a magnetic tipped screwdriver on the screw in order to help prevent the possibility of dropping it.
Unfasten the steering column support bracket assembly hex head bolts and remove the bracket.
Unfasten the dimmer switch assembly screws and remove the switch.
Place the ignition switch in the OFF-LOCK position.
Remove the ignition switch-to-steering column retainers, then remove the assembly

Picture is below

https://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/261618_Noname_202.jpg

Thanks for using 2CarPros.com!
KAREN-MICHAEL GRAVES
  • 1995 CHEVROLET S-10
I took ignition switch apart, and now I can't figure out on where and how the springs go back in the ignition switch, can you please help?
STEVE W.
Need a bit of clarification, do you mean the lock cylinder where you put the key or the electronic part that actually does the switching? If it's the first one and you have all the pins and retainer clip your best option would be to take it to a locksmith with the key. They can install the pins, springs and clip so that the key will work properly. I have re-keyed a bunch of them but it is very easy to put the wrong pin into a hole and have it work until you install the cylinder and it jams because that pin is in the wrong place.
+1
HITMANSANDERS
  • 1994 CHEVROLET S-10
I have a 94 s10 and my ignition switch has gone out and I need to know how to change it can u help me?
BLUELIGHTNIN6
REMOVAL:
For anti-theft reasons, the ignition switch is located on top of the steering column assembly and is completely inaccessible without first lowering the steering column. The switch is actuated by a rod and rack assembly. A gear on the end of the lock cylinder engages the toothed upper end of the actuator rod.
Disconnect the negative battery cable.
Remove the turn signal switch from the column and allow it to hang from the wires (leaving them connected). For details, please refer to the procedure located earlier in this section.
Remove the buzzer switch assembly.

CAUTION
If the screw is dropped upon removal, it could fall into the steering column, requiring complete disassembly in order to retrieve the screw and prevent damage.

Remove the ignition switch-to-steering column retainers, then remove the assembly.

INSTALLATION:
Before installing the ignition switch, place it in the OFF-LOCK position, then make sure that the lock cylinder and actuating rod are in the Locked position (1st detent from the top or 1st detent to the right of far left detent travel).
Most replacement switches are pinned in the OFF-LOCK position for installation purposes. If so, the pin MUST be removed after installation or damage may occur.
Install the activating rod into the ignition switch and assemble the switch onto the steering column. Once the switch is properly positioned, tighten the ignition switch-to-steering column retainers to 35 inch lbs. (4.0 Nm).

CAUTION
When installing the ignition switch, use only the specified screws since over length screws could impair the collapsibility of the column.

Install the dimmer switch and the steering column support bracket.
Align and install the lock cylinder set.
Push the lock cylinder all the way in, then carefully install the retaining screw. Tighten the screw to 22 inch lbs. (2.5 Nm) on tilt columns or to 40 inch lbs. (4.5 Nm) on standard non-tilt columns.
If necessary, install the buzzer switch assembly.
Reposition and secure the turn signal switch assembly
Raise the column into position and secure, then install any necessary trim plates.
Make sure the ignition is OFF, then connect the negative battery cable.

Thanks for using 2CarPros. Com!
KENNETH GARRETT
  • 1994 CHEVROLET S-10
How to remove the ignition key tumbler?
JACK42
You will need a stering wheel puller adn a lock plate press tool to do this.
remove steering wheel and plastic lock plate cover. Use plate press tool to remove retaining ring (see pic)

https://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/1639_s10_2.jpg

Remove upper bearingspring, thrust washer.then put turn signal in right turn and remove the switch actuator arm screw.Remove the 3 screws holding in the turn signal switch.Remove steering column support bracket under the dash. Un clip switch wiring harness. Pull switch up out of the column and allow to hang free.Remove buzzer switch adn put key in ignition and place in LOCK position.Remove lock retaining screw and pull lock out (see pic)

https://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/1639_s102_1.jpg

+3
BLAZEROWNER
  • 1993 CHEVROLET S-10
The ign/gau fuse keep blowing. After searching the net I concluded that it was the ignition switch. But now I can't get the new back on. I cannot figure out how the actuator rod connects with the switch. Please help pics would be great also there is no electrical current flowing in the inst/lps circuit fuse is good
Tuesday, May 4th, 2021 AT 1:33 PM (Merged)
MERLIN2021
IGNITION & DIMMER SWITCHES Removal Remove steering column support bracket bolts and support bracket. Lower steering column. Disconnect dimmer switch electrical connector. Remove dimmer switch retaining screws and remove dimmer switch. Remove dimmer switch actuator rod. Remove ignition switch retaining screws. Disconnect ignition switch electrical connector. Remove ignition switch. See Fig. 1 . Installation 1. On standard column, move ignition switch slider to far left position, then back one detent to right. On tilt column, move ignition switch slider to far right position, then back one detent to left. See Fig. 2 . Ignition switch should now be in OFF/LOCK position. 2. Install ignition switch onto steering column. Ensure actuating rod is aligned with ignition switch. Install dimmer switch actuator rod. Connect dimmer switch to actuator rod. Place a 3/32" drill bit into hole on dimmer switch. Position dimmer switch onto steering column and push against actuator rod to remove lash. 3. Remove drill bit and tighten dimmer switch retaining screws. See TORQUE SPECIFICATIONS TABLE at the end of this article. Connect ignition switch and dimmer switch electrical connectors. NOTE: It is not necessary to remove steering wheel. Ignition and dimmer switches are mounted on top of steering column. NOTE: Install ignition switch with switch in OFF/LOCK position. NEW ignition switch will be pinned in OFF/LOCK position and plastic pin MUST be remove after installation of ignition switch to steering column.

https://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_1_26.jpg

https://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_2_26.jpg

https://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_3_26.jpg

Get switch in and working then if circuits still have problems, you need to go "parasite hunting"
+1
BLAZEROWNER
Thanks for your quick reply. But there are 2 rods 1 for the dimmer switch and 1 for the ignition switch thats the one I'm a little confused about I guess it connects so that you can go though all 5 positions with the key.
+1

Sponsored links