OVERFILLED MOTOR OIL ON ATV

2003 All Other Makes Recreational Vehicles

Manny129

December, 15, 2010 AT 12:37 AM

So I am on the road currently and my Son tells me that the oil level in the quad is low. So I tell him to drain it (Ends up draining the Trans fluid, which he measure the right amount and replace correctly with 10w-30.) So He still put motor oil in the engine, and he fills it up all the way to the top to where he almost overfilled it. After replacing trans oil and with the motor oil filled all the way to the top, he started it up and he said the quad couldnt accelerate past 2 mph, no leaks he said. Is it because everything is over lubricated causing problems? It smokes overly in the exhaust when accelerated and smells like crazy he said. So is it the engine itself or just the overrly amount of motor oil. (Probably 1.5 quarts more the required)

Please help!

Dont worry, I told him to cover it up till I get back.

Dr. Hagerty

December, 15, 2010 AT 5:44 PM

Drain the excess oil and the engine might be just fine.

hmac300

December, 21, 2010 AT 2:19 AM

Drain theoil and it wil be fine, it might smoke for a littelwhile but put inwhat is supposed tobe init.

Engine Oil Change and Filter Chrysler 300
Engine Oil Change and Filter
Oil Change and Filter Chevrolet Tahoe 2015
Engine Oil Change and Filter Acura TSX
Oil Change and Filter Replacement Ford Focus
Engine Oil Change and Filter Toyota Tundra
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Toyota