BRAKE LIGHT COMES ON INTERMITTENTLY

2002 Volkswagen Beetle

darmock

October, 18, 2011 AT 2:50 PM

Just bought a used 2002 Beetle w 31,000 miles, 5 speed manual trans for my wife. It's extremely clean, used sparingly only in the summer months & stored in a heated garage during the winter (I live in the Upper Pennisula of Michigan). The only problem I have been having is the dashboard "brake " light goes on/off intermittently. Doesn't seem to occur when I'm braking or if the parking brake is engaged. I looked at the brake fluid & it looks like it's at the right level, but it's hard to eyeball. I don't think the brake fluid has ever been changed. My brake pads & sliders look like new & the car brakes really well. Any ideas other than to take it into a dealer?

thanks.

October, 18, 2011 AT 2:58 PM

No dealer. Have a shop add brake fluid and check for the light. Is it the yellow light or red light.
The yellow light is an abs malfunction.
The red is either low fluid. E brake switch or hydraulic failure.

darmock

October, 18, 2011 AT 3:13 PM

It's a red light. My closest dealer is 65 miles away. Does it take special brake fluid? Do you think one of the quick oil change places are reliable enough to handle this type of service?

October, 18, 2011 AT 3:18 PM

Yes, you do not need a dealer. A private or retail repair center is more than sufficient.

It may be just low fluid level.

darmock

October, 18, 2011 AT 3:26 PM

Thanks for the quick repsonse. I'll give it a shot.

October, 18, 2011 AT 3:33 PM

Good luck

Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement
Brake Pads/Rotor Replacement Chevy Silverado
Brake Pad/rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Ford Escape
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Toyota Tacoma
Brake Pads and Rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pads and Rotor Replacement Ford