Oxygen sensor location Bank 1 Sensor 2

JMCCAY2002
  • 2002 TOYOTA CAMRY
I am trying to locate where the Oxygen sensor Bank 1 Sensor 2 is on my Camry so I can replace it. It is 2.4 and it is the back O2/Oxygen sensor. I replaced the front sensor but not sure where the back one is. I think it is on the top of the exhaust pipe? Would that be the Bank 2 Sensor 2?
Wednesday, September 16th, 2015 AT 8:12 AM

KEN

Here are all of the oxygen sensor locations for botht eh 4 and 6 cylinder engine along with a guide to show you how to change them.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-replace-an-oxygen-sensor

Here are the oxygen sensor locations (below)

Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.

Cheers, Ken
+1
Saturday, November 11th, 2017 AT 6:32 PM
JUICE.C
  • 2002 TOYOTA CAMRY
I am trying to locate all the oxygen sensors on my camry. There is a picture floating around online but I don't think it's the correct one for my car.( I have attached this picture)

I know that my car has 4 Sensors Two of which are A/f sensors.

Upstream front
Upstream Back
Downstream Front
Downstream Back

I think the Upstream front is the one that comes directly out of the front of the manifold but that I pretty much the only one that I know.

A garage told me that I needed to change Bank 1 Sensor 2 and Bank 2 Sensor 1. Now I just have to locate them on the car. I have my Haynes Repair Manual but it doesn't give any information.

Thanks in advance for your time and anticipated feedback!
Saturday, November 11th, 2017 AT 6:32 PM (Merged)
MHPAUTOS
Bank 1 is the side with #1 cylinder sensor 2 is the down stream or second sensor on that side, Bank 2 is the other cylinder bank, sensor 1 is the up stream or first sensor, does that help?
+3
JUICE.C
Yes, this is very helpfull. The parts that received from the store are the wrong parts.
JUICE.C
Okay, i've changed the sensors, the sputtering has stopped. I still have the code P1135, now I have another code which is p0110. The car looses power when you accelerate.
MHPAUTOS
P 1135 lean mixture, check for vacuum leaks, and P0110 Check that the air intake temp sensor in the air filter box is installed correctly.
YOHANNES
  • 2002 TOYOTA CAMRY
My mechanic told me that my car has oxygen sensor problem and needs to be replaced. Can I replace the oxygen sensors myself? If so, what are the correct part numbers for 2002 Toyota Camry 4 Cylinder. Also do I need to replace both front and rear? I found the following part numbers: 8946733040 and 8946533220, are these the correct ones?

Thank you,
Yohannes
Saturday, November 11th, 2017 AT 6:33 PM (Merged)
We don't normally get involved with part numbers here because we don't have access to that information, but I did find something in some other reference material. The first number appears to be one of two for the "upstream" sensor, meaning before the catalytic converter. The second number also appears to be correct, one of two listed for the downstream sensor after the catalytic converter. You'll only get a sensor with those numbers from the dealer. If you go to any auto parts store, they will give you the correct part with that company's number on it.

There are dozens of diagnostic fault codes related to the oxygen sensors but none of them ever say to replace parts or that one is defective. Those codes only indicate the circuit or system that needs further diagnosis. If your mechanic followed normal procedure and diagnosed the need for a new sensor, he has to tell you which one or you have to know the fault code number to know which sensor it made reference to.

Whether you can do this yourself depends on your skill, tools, and whether you can get to the right sensor. You have the same arms and hands as any mechanic so that won't limit your ability. Some oxygen sensors are right in front, on top of the exhaust manifold, and easy to remove. Some are buried underneath and you have to stand on your head and whimper to get to them. Some can be removed with a box wrench. For some, there are special sockets with a notch on the side for the wires to come through. Some sensors are rusted tight and some come out pretty easily. This is where lack of experience can make you lose faith in what you're doing when you're really just running into one of the difficult sensors.

As a general rule, if the correct sensor is easy to replace, the labor cost to let your mechanic do it won't be very high. If there's a mistake to be made, it's up to him to solve it, not you. If the sensor is really difficult to get to or to get loose, you might want him to do it too so YOU don't get the bleeding knuckles, bumped head, and dirt falling into your eyes.
YOHANNES
Thank you, I think I need further understanding what the actual problem is.
NAYELIP
  • 2002 TOYOTA CAMRY
2002 Toyota Camry 6 cyl Automatic 108000 miles

I'm trying to figure out how to change the heated oxygen sensor?
MHPAUTOS
Hi there,

These can rust in quite badly, give it a good soak with a spray type lube, you can get a specially designed socket that makes this job easier, just don't round off the nut section or you will be in strife getting it out then.

NAYELIP
Hello there I appreciated your reply on my question!

If you can help me now with trying to locate the HEATED OXYGEN SENSOR on my 2002 Toyota Camry.I've tryd looking for it but the deal is that ive found three other looking wires that look the same. So if you can please help me locate the HEATED OXYGEN SENSOR on my 2002 Toyota Camry!

Thank You
REBS77
  • 2002 TOYOTA CAMRY
Computer problem
2002 Toyota Camry 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 161, 00 miles

I have a 2002 Toyota Camry, it has 161,000 miles on it. My father has said the check engine light has always been on. He recently gave me the car, I decided to check WHY the check engine light was on. Went to auto zone they told me the 02 censor is damaged or broken. So I took it to OK tire & auto place. They said the catalac converter is pretty much dead and the 02 sensor being broken is what caused this. My boyfriend had a Nissan Sentra Spec V SER and when he got it the previous owner has knocked the catalac converter out himself and the car ran fine w/o it. Plus there have been some mechanics that told me and him that there is no need for a catalac converter. Well my question is DOES A TOYOTA CAMRY ABSOLUTLY NEED A CATALAC CONVERTER. MY SECOND QUESTION IS, COULD I JUST REPLACE THE O2 SENSOR THAT IS CAUSING THE FUEL TO BE BURNT UP QUICKLY AND SAY FORGET ABOUT THE CATALAC CONVERTER? FEEDBACK GREATLY APPRECIATED.
MERLIN2021
Depends on what the code is, Converter should be left on the car, if you want to pass inspection! This may be a reprogram of the cars computer(PCM) or it may need an 02 sensor. If it's0420 there is a fix and this is it:
M.I.L. "ON" DTC P0420
PRODUCTION CHANGE INFORMATION
TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN
Reference Number(s): EG024-04, Date of Issue: April 03, 2007; July 27, 2004; July 07, 2004 TOYOTA:'02 - '04 Camry (2AZ-FE) (Non PZEV) SECTION:Engine Superceded Bulletin(s):, Date of Issue: July 01, 2004 Related Ref Number(s): EG024-04
All previous versions of this TSB should be discarded.
The repair procedure in this TSB is similar to TSB No. EG013-04 "Excessive Sulfur Dioxide Odor. " The recalibration of the ECM (PCM) should only be performed ONCE.

Page 1 of 1
April 3, 2007: A new step 3 and Figure 2 have been added to the ECM Reprogram Procedure (regarding removal of the 10A ECU-IG fuse). Previous Figure 2 is now Figure 3. July 27, 2004: The OP Code in the Warranty Information table has been changed from Combo A to Combo B. July 7, 2004: The Parts Information, Warranty Information, Applicable Vehicles and the Note in the Introduction have been changed.
Some 2002 - 2004 model year Camry vehicles equipped with the 4 cylinder (2AZ-FE) engine may exhibit a M.I.L. "ON" condition with Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P0420 (Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold, Bank 1) in the Engine Control Module (ECM) (SAE term: Powertrain Control Module/PCM). The ECM (PCM) logic has been modified and a redesigned catalyst has been provided.
2002 - 2004 model year Camry vehicles equipped with the 2AZ-FE engine (non PZEV) and automatic transmission produced BEFORE the Production Change Effective VINs shown below.
10/29/2009
I will email the entire Tech bulliten so you can check the VIN against the bulliten.
STILES AKINS
  • 2002 TOYOTA CAMRY
My 2002 toyota camry 4 cylinder is idling very low and rough. It goes dead often. I replaced the o2 senser as the autozone associate said was indicated by their scanner. That didn't help at all. Any suggestions?
Do you have a check engine light and last tune-up?

Clean out the idle air control valve and EGR/PCV valves and also the MAF sensor with an electronic cleaner CRC also check the TPS sensor
KUNLEFADARE
  • 2002 TOYOTA CAMRY
2002 Toyota Camry (209000 miles) check engine light came on for about 2 days with carMD codes 136, 156,440, 441 and 446, then suddenly went off and my carMD code reader was showing no codes, but a yellow light, while the Evaporative System Monitoring, Catalyst Monitoring, Oxygen Sensor Heater Monitoring and Oxygen Sensor Monitoring icons on the carMD reader were flashing (indicating incomplete), EGR System Monitoring icon was flashing too but stopped after a few minutes. I had replaced the catalytic converters, and oxygen sensor (just before the check engine light came on). I thought the check engine bulb was blown but it appears when the engine is turned on. Do I have a damaged computer? I just got the car from a dealer who bought it from a dealership auction as is.
RIVERMIKERAT
Take it to a shop and tell them you need all codes pulled. Then get back to us on what you find out. CarMD is OK, but it doesn't pull everything.