FOUND OUT THAT THE EPS FUSE IS CAUSING THE BATTERY TO DRAIN.

2002 Saturn Vue

Janowski2b

July, 11, 2012 AT 11:32 PM

What needs to be fixed or checked to stop the drain? On a full battery charge, I can drive the car for a few days. Then one day the car won't start. Dashboard lights are on but won't crank. Can charge or jump the battery and car starts.

The BCM was replaced last year. Need direction of what to check without a high repair bill. A lot of money is invested in the car with two engine replacements and I'm currently unemployed. Any help or direction is greatly appreciated.

saturntech9

July, 11, 2012 AT 11:39 PM

What engine is in the vue?Also why did you replace the engine twice?So you have done a parstic draw test and pulled the eps fuse and the draw is gone?

Janowski2b

July, 12, 2012 AT 12:37 AM

The engine is a 3.0 V6 AWD. First engine was blown and told another engine was needed. Replaced with a used engine and that engine was bad. Money was returned for the engine but not labor cost. For the battery draw problem, repair shop did the test and determined the EPS fuse was the source of the draw. Thanks.

saturntech9

July, 12, 2012 AT 12:54 AM

Alright did they say it was the 10amp or 80amp eps fuse?

Janowski2b

July, 12, 2012 AT 5:36 PM

Service tech said it was the 10amp eps fuse.

saturntech9

July, 12, 2012 AT 6:31 PM

Thats scarey that fuse only has power when the key is in the run or start position. The test is supposed to be done with the key in the off position. Also both the 80amp and the 10amp go straight to the epscm/electronic power steering control module so it wouldnt be hard to figure out the draw. So did you bring it to the dealer?If so which one and what did they say about the draw?

Janowski2b

July, 12, 2012 AT 6:45 PM

I haven't taken it to a dealer yet. Not sure where to go since the Saturn Dealers no longer exist and also worried about how much it would cost for a dealer to check it out. Thought I would first check out online if anyone had any suggestions. Thanks.

saturntech9

July, 12, 2012 AT 7:02 PM

Then which service tech said it was that fuse drawing?Also what did he say was the cause?Again what scares me is that he is saying that fuse/Circuit is causing the power drain. That fuse shouldnt have any power with the key in the off position. Thats the position it should be in when doing the draw test Ethier they did the test wrong or the problem is that fuse is getti g power with the key in the off position.

Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000
Battery Replacement Guide
Battery Replacement
Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011