COOLANT IN THE ENGINE OIL

2002 Saturn SL2

lboucher

March, 25, 2012 AT 1:21 PM

Is there any place other than the head gasket where oil can get into the water. Just replaced the head gasket and still have the fluid mixing?

Just had the head gaskets replaced and it did not seem to help. Fluids are still mixing.

DrCranknWrench

March, 25, 2012 AT 2:50 PM

There is the possibility of the intake manifold gasket leaking coolant into the intake tract and getting into the combustion chamber. It would then be found in oil.

Wrenchtech

March, 25, 2012 AT 3:00 PM

First you have to determine what kind of oil it is. There is a transmission cooler and on some vehicles an engine oil cooler in the radiator and if it springs a leak, you will get oil in the coolant.
You can also have a cracked head but that usually leaks in the other direction to get coolant in the oil due to the pressure.

saturntech9

March, 25, 2012 AT 3:53 PM

Just to add this one there is no engine oil cooler on this engine. It only has the transmission cooler in the radiator tank. The single can saturn S model engines are known for the cam journal cracking and dumping oil in the coolant. If you have the SL2 you have a twin cam engine they once in a while dump oil into the coolalnt. Also how do you know its not just left over oil from before?Its hard to get the oil out of the coolant. After the repair you also have to flush the radiator engine block heater core etc. You also replace the coolant bottle water pump thermostat all the hoses heater and radiator including the steel one that runs under the upper mount to the heater core. Are you sure you have a twin cam cam engine?Are the spark plugs on the engine facing straight up?Or at a angle facing more towards the front of the car?

lboucher

March, 27, 2012 AT 5:32 PM

It is a V6 with a twin cam engine. It is not left over oil, flushed and changed everything out. Going to do a pressure check on the radiator, heard that he oil cooler might be the issue.

saturntech9

March, 27, 2012 AT 7:10 PM

You listed the wrong model the SL2 only has a 4cyl engine if you listed the year correct then you have a L300 or a LW300 depending on if its the sedan its the L300 if its the wagon its the LW300. Never seen the head gaskets mix oil in the coolant. But have replaced a ton of the oil coolers for leaking oil into the coolant. So who ever did the diagnoses on that car I hope you didnt pay someone for that and to replace the head gaskets. Otherwise I would ask for a refund.

lboucher

March, 28, 2012 AT 6:38 PM

Had the wrong year it is a 2000 Saturn with a V6, twin cams. Yes I did pay to have the heads changed he was a ert. Mech. At a local garage but did it afterhours in our garage with my husbands help. Funny after the same problem started he will not answer or return calls.

saturntech9

March, 28, 2012 AT 9:09 PM

Alright if its a sedan you would have a LS2 model and if its a wagon you would have a LW2 model so you know next time what model you have. The caddys use the same engine as your car but with a different intake manifold.I would replace your oil cooler with a caddy oil cooler there built better then the one used in the saturn. Its in there catera model. You can try leaving the guy who fixed your car in your garage a message of if he doesnt return your call your going to take him to small claims court.

lboucher

April, 9, 2012 AT 3:58 PM

Do you know is the oil cooler cooled by air or water?

saturntech9

April, 9, 2012 AT 5:03 PM

Its cooled by coolant I already told you I replaced a ton of oil coolers for mixing oil in the coolant. Its under the oil cooler plate under the intake manifold. You cant miss it there is two good size steel oil cooler lines going to it. The lines come out of the block by your oil filter housing and run up to your oil cooler.I would replace it with the caddy catera model cooler there usually cheaper and sturdier. You will need silicone I would get the gm silicone it calls for. You also need the steel oil cooler banjo washer seals for the lines and the o rings for the oil cooler plate.

Oil Change & Filter Replacement Chevrolet
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Acura TL
Engine Oil Change and Filter Chevrolet Cruze
Engine Oil Change and Filter Ford Super Duty
Engine Oil Change and Filter Ford Mustang
Engine Oil Change and Filter Chevrolet Tahoe