WHAT DOES BATTERY DASHBOARD WARNING LIGHT MEAN?

2002 Saturn L100

Rick Beacham

September, 7, 2011 AT 4:41 PM

Changed 2002 Saturn alternator. Now dashboard battery warning light comes on. Checked all connections and wires. Any suggestions?

Why Is My Battery Light On?

1 IMAGE

Gen Light

saturntech9

September, 7, 2011 AT 4:54 PM

Did you have the new alternator tested before installing it?Also have you seen what the voltage is at the battery with the engine running and the battery light on?

Rick Beacham

September, 10, 2011 AT 7:47 PM

Put the tester on today. Battery 12.5 and alternator 15.9. Charging system warning light still on. Checked all fuses-OK. Will change drivebelt due to mileage-original drivebelt-but don't know how to check tensioner. Once new drivebelt on, I don't know what to do next.

saturntech9

September, 10, 2011 AT 8:30 PM

You just kinda feel the tension on the tenisoner using the breaker bar. So the car idling the voltage at the battery reads 15.9 volts thats too high. Did you have the alternator tested before you left the store?Also was the battery light on as soon as you put thr new one on?Or was it a few days that it starting coming on after you changed it?Why did you change it?You just have a bad voltage regulator in the new alternator.

Rick Beacham

September, 10, 2011 AT 8:49 PM

15.9 alternator with car/lights on. With car off battery 12.5. As soon as I ran the car, the check light came on. I think I made a mistake changing it.

saturntech9

September, 10, 2011 AT 10:20 PM

So you never had the new alternator tested before leaving the store?I always have them test the alternators starters etc that way I know the new part is atleast good when I installed it. So you have a bad new alternator or another issue. So you said you think you made a mistake when you put it in. Do you know what you did wrong?

Rick Beacham

September, 10, 2011 AT 11:15 PM

I took alternator back to store and got a new one. Installed new belt as well. I didn't mean I installed incorrectly, only that I didn't test before installing. According to Auto Zone, they can't test this alternator because they can't clamp to test. Charging system warning light still on.

saturntech9

September, 11, 2011 AT 2:28 AM

So are still reading the high 15 volts?

Rick Beacham

September, 18, 2011 AT 7:28 PM

This week the testing showed a bad battery. Replaced battery. Meter now reads 12.9 off and 14-4 with engine running. Charging light still on, but goes off when alternator is unplugged(non power pigtail). About the only thing I haven't changed is the plug.

saturntech9

September, 18, 2011 AT 7:44 PM

The voltage is good do you have multimeter you can check ohms etc with?Sounds like a issue with the wiring possibly.

Rick Beacham

September, 18, 2011 AT 7:54 PM

I'm using the multimeter at Auto zone. Check what about ohms?

Alternator testing done right
Alternator Replacement Ford Super Duty
Alternator Replacement Chevrolet Silverado
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chrysler
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet Tahoe
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet