WILL ONLY START WITH STEERING WHEEL TILTED UP...

2002 Pontiac Sunfire

Jxone

January, 3, 2012 AT 4:34 AM

My car will only turn over and start once in awhile. That was the initial problem, I managed to find a way to start it everytime. With the steering in the center or low tilt it will only work everynow and then but the car will stall. Sometimes the lights will flicker on the dash or the headlights. With the wheel tilted up, there is no problems at all, starts as good as the day I got it. This tells me not fuel pump, spark plugs and of the obvious stuff. Anone with ignition knowledge or electrical knowledege, you help would be appriciated.

caradiodoc

January, 3, 2012 AT 5:13 AM

Frayed wires in the tilt wheel hinge area. If that has a Pass Lock sensor, those wires are very thin and break easily.

Jxone

I'm going to get in there today, thanks for the reply, just need to hear that what I'm trying to get at isnt way off. Thanks again.

Jxone

Loose connector that pulled tight when the steering wheel was tilted up. One 10 cent zap strap and cold fingers later and its good to go.

caradiodoc

Very happy to hear the fix was that simple. Was that a three-wire connector next to the ignition switch cylinder?

Jxone

January, 4, 2012 AT 4:55 AM

It actually turned out to be the bottom connector in the pic. There was a bit of play in it

Power Steering Fluid Check Acura TSX
Power Steering Pump Replacement Chevy Tahoe
Steering Pump Replacement Mercedes Benz
Power Steering Pump Pulley Removal
Steering Intermediate Shafts Replacement