WHAT CAUSES A CHIRPING SQUEAKING NOISE

2002 Oldsmobile Alero

wildmarymom

January, 23, 2012 AT 1:31 AM

In 2002 olds alero? Also, what causes a popping noise when I turn the steering wheel to the left sharply? My car has a squeaking or chirping noise coming from under the hood and it gets louder upon acceleration. Also, when I cut my wheels sharply to the left I hear a popping noise.

January, 23, 2012 AT 2:39 AM

Sounds like a bad belt. Have it checked by a shop to verify.

wildmarymom

I have had the belt checked and it was fine.

January, 24, 2012 AT 3:58 AM

You can check it by simply spraying water on it while running. F the noise goes away, the belt is bad. If not, then you may have a bearing or pulley failing.

wildmarymom

January, 24, 2012 AT 10:34 AM

Thanks, Roy. If it were a bearing or pulley failing, could it cause any further problems if I continue driving it as is? Also, can you give me any ideas on what the costs (labor and parts) to fix something like this?
One more question, as stated in my first question. When I cut my steering wheel sharply to the left, I hear a popping noise. Thats the best I can describe it.

Hard to say with a pulley or bearing. It will fail, the question is when and where it will fail on you.
Need more specifics to give an estimate.
The noise may be an axle joint on extreme turns.

Oil Change and Filter Replacement Toyota
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Front Brake Pads & Rotor Replacement Chevy
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Rear