TEMPATURE CONTROL GEAR

2002 Nissan Altima

marcymodj

October, 9, 2012 AT 4:41 PM

My tempature control gear is broken. My mechanic temporarily fixed it last year and set it on heat for the winter months. Can you walk me through it step by step. Thank you, Marcie

October, 9, 2012 AT 4:44 PM

Is your HVAC system manual or automatic?
Are you referring to replacment of the mode controls?
What was done to set the heater on?

marcymodj

October, 9, 2012 AT 5:27 PM

When I turn the dial to heat It's very hard and only blows cold air. This is common through my research. So through research I found out that my gear is broken and the cable isn't attached. My mechanic set it on heat last year. It was a temporary fix.I know it's located to the right of the gas peddle.I just need step by step directions on a temporary fix for the winter. Thank you

October, 9, 2012 AT 5:40 PM

The air mix cable is the one shown in diagram. If you disconnect the cable and manually turn the lever, you can change between heater and A/C, if that is what you mean.

marcymodj

October, 9, 2012 AT 5:57 PM

I know there's a way you canset it directly to heat from underneath by pulling the cable and manually turning the gear. Are you familiar with this process?

October, 9, 2012 AT 6:29 PM

If you look at the picture, you can see the cable attached to a lever at its end. If you are going to use the control panel, using your hands to help push/pull the lever while turning the control knob would make it easier.

marcymodj

October, 9, 2012 AT 6:33 PM

I will try it. Thank you

October, 9, 2012 AT 7:13 PM

You're welcome.

brobann

March, 3, 2013 AT 5:40 PM

This is a simple fix. Look to the right of your gas pedal. You will see 2 gears that need to mesh correctly. The air mix door gear has a pin that needs to fit into the V notch on the cable operated gear. Over time, these parts will either wear or come loose and the gears will jam. Take a look. Very easy fix

Transmission Drain and Refill Kia Sportage
Transmission Service Ford Super Duty F-250
Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma
Transmission Fluid Replacement Mercedes Benz
Automatic Transmission Service
Clutch/Flywheel/Rear Main Seal Replacement