TEMPATURE CONTROL GEAR

• marcymodj
  • 2002 Nissan Altima
  • 150 miles

My tempature control gear is broken. My mechanic temporarily fixed it last year and set it on heat for the winter months. Can you walk me through it step by step. Thank you, Marcie

Tuesday, October 9th, 2012 AT 4:41 PM

• KHLow2008

Is your HVAC system manual or automatic?
Are you referring to replacment of the mode controls?
What was done to set the heater on?

Tuesday, October 9th, 2012 AT 4:44 PM
  • marcymodj

When I turn the dial to heat It's very hard and only blows cold air. This is common through my research. So through research I found out that my gear is broken and the cable isn't attached. My mechanic set it on heat last year. It was a temporary fix.I know it's located to the right of the gas peddle.I just need step by step directions on a temporary fix for the winter. Thank you

Tuesday, October 9th, 2012 AT 5:27 PM
  • KHLow2008

The air mix cable is the one shown in diagram. If you disconnect the cable and manually turn the lever, you can change between heater and A/C, if that is what you mean.

Tuesday, October 9th, 2012 AT 5:40 PM
  • marcymodj

I know there's a way you canset it directly to heat from underneath by pulling the cable and manually turning the gear. Are you familiar with this process?

Tuesday, October 9th, 2012 AT 5:57 PM
  • KHLow2008

If you look at the picture, you can see the cable attached to a lever at its end. If you are going to use the control panel, using your hands to help push/pull the lever while turning the control knob would make it easier.

Tuesday, October 9th, 2012 AT 6:29 PM
  • marcymodj

I will try it. Thank you

Tuesday, October 9th, 2012 AT 6:33 PM
  • KHLow2008

You're welcome.

Tuesday, October 9th, 2012 AT 7:13 PM
  • brobann

This is a simple fix. Look to the right of your gas pedal. You will see 2 gears that need to mesh correctly. The air mix door gear has a pin that needs to fit into the V notch on the cable operated gear. Over time, these parts will either wear or come loose and the gears will jam. Take a look. Very easy fix

Sunday, March 3rd, 2013 AT 5:40 PM