ELECTRICAL WIRING?

2002 Kia Sedona

02sedonaex

September, 17, 2012 AT 5:50 PM

I have a 02 KIA Sedona, the fan switch for the front does not work. Upon taking the dash apart and trying to replace the switch I discovered the switch was burnt and melted. The wiring harness looked a little bunt and melted.

Before I spend the 900+ for the labor and whole new front dash wiring hanress. I wanted to try this, I wanted to cut the harness and try and get the clip off the old swtich. If I can get the clip off the old switch I wanted to Crimp cap and or solder the harness back back to gether.

If the wire on the clip is bad, I want to add new wire to the clip and reattach it to the main wire.

How do I test to see if the main harness is still good? Meaning after I cut the harness and expose bare wire, How can I test to make sure it has the right amount of juice? No fuses are blown or melted and everything else works. The wiring for the front fan motor and resistor both have the about right power.

Should the harness for the fan blower switch have 12V going to it? What should each wire test out at? I think it has 8-10 wires in all in differnt colors.

If all of the above fails my last plan of action is to cut the harness and solder the wires directly to the brass prongs on the new blower switch. If I can not cut the clip for the harness off the old blower switch.

Any and all help will help me. At this point I have nothing to lose, KIA doesn't sell this section of the harness. They told me I have to buy a whole new front harness. So If this fails or I mess something Up, I'll already have to replace the whole harness.

Thanks for all your help.

saturntech9

September, 17, 2012 AT 5:56 PM

Why don't you just go to pick a part and clip that connector out and buy it from them.

02sedonaex

September, 17, 2012 AT 6:11 PM

Pick a part? I don't think I have one around me or the three states around me. If the wire shorted out will the clip still be good?

saturntech9

September, 17, 2012 AT 7:06 PM

What clip are we talking about?Also I have seen plenty of those fan switch connectors melt etc and there not be a short. It just happens over time but to be on the safe side after you fix it you check the amperage draw on the system.

saturntech9

September, 17, 2012 AT 7:08 PM

What state do you live in?

02sedonaex

September, 17, 2012 AT 7:30 PM

I live in NH, I called Pick a part and they told me they are only in CA and I had to contact LKQonline. Com

When I say clip I'm talking about the plastic part that all the wires on the harness go into. Then the plastic clip hooks into the back of the fan switch, the brass prongs in the fan switch hook into the plastic clip. I'll try and take a photo of the old switch tonight and the new switch.

I have called all the local salvage yards and no one has a KIA in stock and the ones that do claim they don't sell that kind of thing(by thing I mean the whole harness.) Yards around here will not allow you to enter te yard, only workers are allowed in.

saturntech9

September, 17, 2012 AT 7:38 PM

So the clip as you call it is the connector cavitiy.I live in california and know all the pick a parts around here.I will do some research and see what I can find.

02sedonaex

September, 17, 2012 AT 7:44 PM

This is a photo of a radio harness but it will do. The black thing On the end is what i'm talking about. The main harness has that black plastic part( Or cavitiy as you call it.) That part looks melted and looks fused to the back of the old fan switch. The wires coming out of the back of the cavitiy look a little burnt but for the most part look ok.

saturntech9

September, 17, 2012 AT 8:45 PM

Yeah yours is a square one iam waiting for some email answers to see if they have that connector used.I will let you know what I find.

02sedonaex

September, 17, 2012 AT 8:57 PM

Thank you kindly Sir.

saturntech9

September, 17, 2012 AT 9:20 PM

Can you post a picture of the actual connector?I have a seller asking for one?

Replace Heater Core
Blend Door Actuator Replacement