1. Disconnect negative cable from battery.
2. Drain cooling system.
3. Remove right and left cylinder head covers.
4. Remove radiator fan shroud.
5. Rotate engine until timing mark on crankshaft damper aligns with TDC mark on timing chain cover (Fig. 103) (#1 cylinder exhaust stroke) and the camshaft sprocket "V6" marks are at the 12 o'clock position (Fig. 102).
CAUTION: The nut on the right side camshaft sprocket should not be removed for any reason, as the sprocket and camshaft sensor target wheel is serviced as an assembly. If the nut was removed retorque nut to 5 Nm (44 in. Lbs.).
6. Remove power steering pump.
7. Remove access plug from left and right cylinder heads for access to chain guide fasteners (Fig. 104).
8. Remove the oil fill housing to gain access to the right side tensioner arm fastener.
9. Remove crankshaft damper and timing chain cover.
10. Collapse and pin primary chain tensioner.
CAUTION: Plate behind left secondary chain tensioner could fall into oil pan. Therefore, cover pan opening.