WHERE IS THE AIR TEMP SENSOR LOCATED? AND WHAT ...

2002 Jaguar Vanden Plas

alanstang

November, 20, 2012 AT 3:30 AM

Where is the air temp sensor located? And what voltage level should I read at the connector, if the sensor is working properly? I am getting an error code P1111 Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Sensor Circuit Intermittent High Voltage, and my engine runs very rough on an intermittent basis, as if it is missing on at least 2 cylinders.

mhpautos

November, 20, 2012 AT 11:04 AM

Mitchell 1 data base says it is located on engine at rear of A bank inter cooler, they have no pic of sensor. P1111 is code for system checks complete since last memory clear, notes say no action required. I would be looking at all base tune items first. I have not been able to locate any pin out voltages so far for this sensor, I doubt that it is at fault here.

alanstang

November, 20, 2012 AT 5:02 PM

I have found the Mitchell 1 data base to be completely useless. The writers of their manual don't seem to understand that there are different models of the Jaguar XJ8. There manual says that the IAT sensor is located at the rear of A bank Inter cooler, which would indicate the presence of a Super Charger. My car doesn't have a Super Charger. Mitchell 1 makes no mention of any other option. I can't stand repair manuals that are written, without paying attention to detail. The details make all the difference in good quality manuals.

I read on a forum that the IAT sensor on the non-Super Charged XJ8 is part of the MAF sensor. Looking at the pictures of the MAF sensor, it does look like there are 2 probes that would measure 2 different parameters. The indications that the people on this forum are getting seem to match my indications, but I have one more detail that might help troubleshoot this issue a little bit better. My engine doesn't start running rough until the engine warms up.

I am going to try and clean the MAF and IAT sensors. I will let you know what happens. With the above mentioned details, do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks for your time,
Alan Stang