BRAKE WARNING LIGHT STAYS ON

2002 Isuzu Axiom

Deb Williams

June, 25, 2011 AT 5:12 PM

2002 Isuzu Axiom. Parking brake warning light was staying on, then going off. Now it's mostly on, but still occasionally goes off. Just read in the manual that it "may" be a problem with the brake system. Last oil change, the guy told my husband we needed to change the front brakes. Brakes growl (not squeal or chirp) now when stopping, hubby's in the hospital, and I can't get to a mechanic just yet. How serious is this, and what might it be? Thanks.

merlin2021

June, 25, 2011 AT 6:30 PM

Really needs to be looked at, but it could be a simple as the switch on the parking brake lever not making contact. Groaning brakes usully means not enough force is being applied, it's called creep groan, check all brake linings and hydraulics. Brakes are a safty concern, and I would NEVER say it's OK to drive without an inspection.

Deb Williams

June, 25, 2011 AT 7:25 PM

They'll get checked ASAP. Since hubby's in the hospital, I'm driving his car. Thanks.

rivermikerat

June, 25, 2011 AT 10:00 PM

Brake growl could also be metal to metal with uneven pad wear exposing a single rivet to the brake rotor.
As for the brake light staying on, check the fluid level, make sure the master cylinder isn't filled with sludge, and check the wiring on the parking brake switch.

Deb Williams

June, 25, 2011 AT 10:18 PM

Thanks for the info guys. Running this off to print to take to mechanic with me.

rivermikerat

June, 26, 2011 AT 2:48 AM

: )

Brake Pads and Rotor Replacement Ford
Brake Pad & Rotor Replacement Mini Cooper
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front Ford
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Ford Escape
Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement Ford Explorer