CHECK ENGINE CODES

• crone
  • 2002 Hyundai Sonata
  • automatic

My 2002 Sonata was idling rough. I changed the iac valve and now then the spark plugs. I have codes p1505, p1507, p0122 it is a v6. I really need help cannot keep throwing money at it. Recently changed timing belt and water whatever too.

Sunday, March 27th, 2011 AT 6:44 PM

• KHLow2008

P0122 = Throttle Position Sensor Circuit low input...
P1505 = Idle Charge Actuator Signal Low of coil # 1...
P1507 = Idle Charge Actuator Signal Low of coil # 1...

It is a problem with the TPS and IAC, but since IAC had been replaced and CL still indicates a fault with it, I would suggest cheking the wire harness and connections from IAC/TPS to the PCM. It could also be a faulty PCM.

Sunday, March 27th, 2011 AT 7:16 PM
  • crone

Okay, here is the thing changing them the wires were taken off and put back on in the order that they came. Looking in the book, we have the firing order wrong. Can that cause this? Even though we took them off and replaced them one at a time? Also, we changed plugs and wires because it was already idling erratically. Now it is just high not erratic. The book says 135 in the back 246 in the front and that they should go from front to back, 142536. However online, I found that 3 and 6 were reversed? Thank.S

Sunday, March 27th, 2011 AT 7:34 PM
  • KHLow2008

Basically for V-6 cylinder line-up, you look at engine from the pulley side and the side on your left is (left bank) is 1, 3 and 5. Firing order is 123456 so reversing 3 and 6 does not matter as they uses the same coil which fires both wires at the same time. If you want to get it correct, just swap the wire at the coil.

Ensure the throttle body is installed correctly with no restriction to the throttle plate. If it is not closing correctly, it can cause the high idling. Since a TPS fault code had been detected, that is where I would suggest starting from.

Sunday, March 27th, 2011 AT 7:57 PM
  • crone

Thank you. I am certain to have more questions. We put the firing order as is in the book. Glad it doesn' t matter as long as it' s on the same coil pack. We are not used to these detailed model cars. Our others are mid to late 1990' s Honda' s! But, I so want my Sonata to run right. It is new to us! Thanks for you help, my husband is trying to figure it out without spending more money!

Sunday, March 27th, 2011 AT 8:09 PM
  • crone

The idle is at 1500 between the 1 and the 2 and sometimes goes up just a bit or down just a bit. With air conditioner on it drops to 1000 or in drive. But park and neutral are high. Any more ideas?

Sunday, March 27th, 2011 AT 8:38 PM
  • crone

I finally drove it myself and it does not shift right it goes up to 3000 rpm' s and might choose to shift. I stop it there. It cannot be driven anywhere, but around the block. All of this after spark plug and wires?

Sunday, March 27th, 2011 AT 9:52 PM
  • crone

Changed the TPS any other suggestions?

Sunday, March 27th, 2011 AT 11:48 PM
  • KHLow2008

Recheck if the TPS and IAC wire couplers had been interchanged.

Monday, March 28th, 2011 AT 1:16 PM
  • crone

Finally broke down and took it somewhere. That is exactly what happened. Now, here is my question. It is driving okay, but still a little higher and shifting harder than normal. The mechanic said to drive it about 20-25 miles for computer to reset itself. At that point, if it is going to change will it? It still is high, but not nearly as bad as limp mode. He also said we may have fried the new TPS, so it may need another one if a light comes back on. Your two cents? I just hope the idle goes down about 200 and the shifting gets smoother. It does not shift until about 3-4000 in between. Again your thoughts are graciously appreciated.

Tuesday, March 29th, 2011 AT 1:02 AM
  • KHLow2008

Is the check engine light still indicating? If trouble codes are indicating a TPS problem, it is not going to reset itself. Usually when computer relearns, the idling speed would be low instead of high. Did you check if the TPS and IAC wire connectors had been wrongly interchanged? They are rather close to each other and is possible to be wrongly installed.

Tuesday, March 29th, 2011 AT 11:53 AM