CHECK ENGINE CODES

2002 Hyundai Sonata

crone

March, 27, 2011 AT 6:44 PM

My 2002 sonata was idling rough. Changed the iac valve and now then the spark plugs. Have codes p1505, p1507, p0122 it's a v6. I really need help can't keep throwing money at it. Recently changed timing belt and water whatever too.

March, 27, 2011 AT 7:16 PM

P0122 = Throttle Position Sensor Circuit low input...
P1505 = Idle Charge Actuator Signal Low of coil # 1...
P1507 = Idle Charge Actuator Signal Low of coil # 1...

It is a problem with the TPS and IAC but since IAC had been replaed and CL still indicates a fault with it, I would suggest cheking the wireharness and connections from IAC/TPS to the PCM. It couls also be a faulty PCM.

crone

March, 27, 2011 AT 7:34 PM

Ok, here is the thing changing them the wires were taken off and put back on in the order that they came. Looking in the book, we have the firing order wrong. Can that cause this? Even though we took them off and replaced them one at a time? Also, we changed plugs and wires because it was already idling erratically. Now it is just high not erratic. The book says 135 in the back 246 in the front and that they should go from front to back, 142536 However online, I found that 3 and 6 were reversed? Thanks

March, 27, 2011 AT 7:57 PM

Basically for V-6 cylinder line-up, you look at engine from the pulley side and the side on your left is (left bank) is 1, 3 and 5. Firing order is 123456 so reversing 3 and 6 does not matter as they uses the same coil which fires both wires at the same time. If you want to get it correct, just swap the wire at the coil.

Ensure the throttle body is installed correctly with no restriction to the throttle plate. If it is not closing correctly, it can cause the high idling. Since a TPS fault code had been detected, that is where I would suggest starting from.

crone

March, 27, 2011 AT 8:09 PM

Thank you. I am certain to have more questions. We put the firing order as is in the book. Glad it doesn't matter as long as it's on the same coil pack. We are not used to these detailed model cars. Our others are mid to late 90's hondas! But, I so want my sonata to run right. It's new to us! Thanks for you help, my husband is trying to figure it out without spending more money!

crone

March, 27, 2011 AT 8:38 PM

The idle is at 1500 between the 1 and the 2 and sometimes goes up just a bit or down just a bit. With ac on it drops to 1k or in drive. But park and neutral are high. Any more ideas?

crone

March, 27, 2011 AT 9:52 PM

I finally drove it myself and it doesn't shift right it goes up to 3k rpms and might choose to shift.I stop it there. It can't be driven anywhere but around the block. ALL of this after spark plug and wires? WTF

crone

March, 27, 2011 AT 11:48 PM

Changed the TPS any other suggestions?

March, 28, 2011 AT 1:16 PM

Recheck if the TPS and IAC wire couplers had been interchanged.

crone

March, 29, 2011 AT 1:02 AM

Finally broke down and took it somewhere. That is exactly what happened. Now, here is my question. It is driving ok, but still a little higher and shifting harder than normal. The mechanic said to drive it about 20-25 miles for computer to reset itself. At that point, if it's going to change will it? It still is high, but not nearly as bad as limp mode. He also said we may have fried the new TPS, so it may need another one if a light comes back on. Your two cents? I just hope the idle goes down about 200 and the shifting gets smoother. It doesn't shift until about 3-4k inbetween. Again your thoughts are graciously appreciated.

March, 29, 2011 AT 11:53 AM

Is the CEL still indicating? If trouble codes are indicating a TPS problem, it is not going to reset itself. Usually when computer relearns, the idling speed would be low instead of high. Did you check if the TPS and IAC wire connectors had been wrongly interchanged? They are rather close to each other and is possible to be wongly installed.