2002 Honda CRV alarm

MNM12
  • 2002 HONDA CRV
I have a 2002 honda crv. I was on vacation for 10 days in July and left the car with my parents. They used it at least once while I was gone, no problem. Now since my return the car alarm sets itself without me using the remote or locking it. It takes just a few seconds. I have to use the unlock button after pumping gas just to get in the car without the alarm going off a few seconds after I get in the car. Again, I don't use the fob to lock the car, it is not locked but the light on the steering column is blinking like mad. If you open any of the doors while it is blinking it will set off the alarm in a few seconds. Very embarrassing at the gas station. I live in the middle of nowhere and do not lock my car at night, however the alarm insists on setting itself. What happened? I never had this problem before, it is really irritating! My mechanic suggested taking it to the honda dealer to have them reprogram the fob, maybe my parents pushed the wrong buttons in the right/wrong sequence to reprogram it? Is that possible?

All the other functions on the fob work like they should.

Please help!
Thursday, December 16th, 2010 AT 7:04 PM

WRENCHTECH
It sounds like they accidentally set it to passive arming instead of manual. There is a certain sequence of pressing buttons on the fob to enter the menu and change the settings. Not being used to it they were probably randomly pushing buttons and entered the menu. You will have to get a hold of the instructions for your model alarm. You can probably get them at their web site if you don't have them already.
Thursday, December 16th, 2010 AT 11:15 PM
MNM12
Do you mean from Honda? It is a factory installed alarm. Would I find it in my instruction manual or on-line somewhere?
Thank you for responding, I hope it gets fixed and soon.
Friday, December 17th, 2010 AT 5:03 PM
WRENCHTECH
That doesn't sound like a factory alarm but if it is the instructions should be in the manual.
-1
Friday, December 17th, 2010 AT 5:14 PM
MNM12
I found the security system manual(it is a Honda alarm system) in my glove box for the alarm. I also found how to take it out of the passive mode. It took all of 3 seconds. To think I have been putting up with it all these months when it was right there all the time. Thanks for the help!
-1
Sunday, December 19th, 2010 AT 10:48 PM
WRENCHTECH
Your welcome. Glad to hear it was that easy.
Sunday, December 19th, 2010 AT 10:49 PM
MNM12
It was resolved thanks, not sure why it showed up to you again, sorry!

I have had no problems since my last reply on 12/19/2010.
Thanks for checking.
Thursday, December 23rd, 2010 AT 7:22 PM
WRENCHTECH
Closing out question
Friday, March 11th, 2011 AT 4:29 PM
ALVAREZ_J19
I have the same problem. I can't find my owners manual. Do you mind posting up the instructions you followed?
Sunday, May 3rd, 2015 AT 8:48 AM
WRENCHTECH
This thread is 5 years old. Please start a new question of your own.
Sunday, May 3rd, 2015 AT 12:14 PM