PISTONS ON FRONT CALIPER WILL NOT RETRACT BACK ...

2002 GMC Truck

Anonymous

February, 5, 2013 AT 4:12 AM

Pistons on front caliper will not retract back in. I opened line and bled, the lft front no problem the rt front fluid came out from piston and I cant get it to go back in even with c clamp

caradiodoc

February, 5, 2013 AT 5:11 AM

Do I understand you opened the bleeder screw or loosened the flexible hose, and then even a c-clamp won't do it?

jimgallien

February, 5, 2013 AT 7:38 PM

I used a bar clamp, a C clamp also. I failed to mention that the inside of the disk was worn to the ridges, the face was as thin as a match book cover. I accidentally punctured one of the boots and just replaced the whole caliper. When I took off the brake line and the caliper it went back in but the boot was torn, it would have gone back in if I took it off and didnt tear the rubber boot

caradiodoc

February, 6, 2013 AT 12:18 AM

I'm confused. That boot is just a dust boot and will not prevent the piston from going back in. What CAN happen is if that boot was torn previously AND you have steel pistons, water can get in there and cause the chrome plating on the piston to lift, and rust spots form underneath it. That definitely will make it almost impossible to get the piston back in or out.

So are you saying you installed a new caliper? If so, did everything go back together properly or are you still having trouble?

Engine Cylinder Compression Test - All Cars
Serpentine Belt Tensioner Replacement
Air Filter Replacement
Air Filter Replacement Porsche 911