WHY IS THE EMERGENCY BRAKE LIGHT COMING ON?

2002 GMC Sonoma

squeaks07

July, 26, 2012 AT 3:05 PM

I have a 2002 GMC Sonoma that when I drive it somewhere, park for a few minuets, then dive off again the emergency brake light comes on and doesn't drive well. After about 2 miles down the road the truck drives normally. Any ideas what could be causing this?

Docfixit

July, 26, 2012 AT 3:14 PM

Are you applying park brake? Does light go off as well?

squeaks07

July, 26, 2012 AT 3:21 PM

No I'm not applying the brake. The light comes on when I turn the truck back on and start back down the road.

Docfixit

July, 26, 2012 AT 3:34 PM

"does not drive well" would explain? SO (P) light on dash comes on? Does it ever go off? Feel OK backing up but like draging going forward?

squeaks07

July, 26, 2012 AT 3:51 PM

It drives sluggish, when you get going down the road a little ways the light goes off and the truck dives normal again.

Docfixit

July, 26, 2012 AT 4:16 PM

Does it backup without sluggish? If yes then somehow E-brake is applied. Inspect cable maybe siezed and check rear shoes for contamination and E=brake lever for binding

squeaks07

July, 26, 2012 AT 4:40 PM

It almost seems like the truck gets hot. I don't have it running. After I am on the road it stops acting up. That is when the light goes off, after it starts driving normal

Docfixit

July, 26, 2012 AT 7:22 PM

Pull drums check rears

Brake Pad/Brake Rotor Replacement - Rear
Brake Pads and Rotor Replacement Ford
Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement
Replace Rear Brake Pad-Rotor Subaru Legacy
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Chevrolet