TPS installation and location

LILMOMMA
  • 2002 FORD EXPLORER
How do I install TPS and where is it located?
Thursday, May 20th, 2010 AT 6:55 AM

The TPS is on the intake. Here is a picture of it:

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249084_5_1.jpg

1.Disconnect the negative battery cable.
2.Remove the air cleaner outlet pipe.
3.For 2006-07, remove the bolts and position the heated positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) fitting and hoses aside. Remove and discard the O-ring seal.
4.Disconnect the Throttle Position (TP) sensor electrical connector.

Warning:
Failure to remove the TP sensor screws in the following manner will result in damage to the screws.

5.First, loosen the screws 1-2 full turns using a hand tool, and then use a suitable high speed driver to complete the removal.
6.Remove and discard the 2 screws and the TP sensor.

To install:

Caution:
Do not reuse the TP sensor and screws. A new TP sensor and screws must be installed.

Warning:
Do not use a high speed driver to install the new screws or damage to the TP sensor can occur.

1.Position the new TP sensor and install the 2 new screws. Make sure that the radial locator tab on the TP sensor is aligned with the radial locator hole on the throttle body.
2.Tighten the sensor screws to 27 inch lbs. (3 Nm).
3.Connect the TP sensor electrical connector.
4.If equipped, install the heated PCV fitting and hoses to original locations, using new O-ring seal.
5.Install the air cleaner outlet pipe.
6.Connect the battery ground cable.

Let me know if this helps.

+1
Friday, May 21st, 2010 AT 9:40 PM
GDIZE0
I have two questions. When reinstalling do you have it at an 45 degree and rotate it clockwise or just put it on? The other I have I think this might be the cause of my problem. Sometimes the truck will idle around 1000-1500 and other time normal. I have cleaned the MAS and the IAC valve is clean throttle body looks good I have a 2002 Ford Explorer six cylinder. Thanks
+5
Tuesday, August 30th, 2011 AT 4:34 AM