Location of neutral safety switch on automatic transmission

MESSIER49
  • 2002 DODGE RAM
Need to find the location of the neutral safety switch on my dodge ram 1500 automatic transmission
Thursday, November 10th, 2011 AT 6:20 PM

Transmission oil pan. The switch is right above the left rear corner. On Dakotas it is kind of hidden above the cross member. I can't remember if that's the case with the full size trucks. I posted a photo of what it looks like. This is the most common switch but there is a different design too. This is for an automatic.

The center terminal is for the starter relay ground and it doesn't fail very often. The two outer pins connect together for the backup lights. Those DO fail on occasion. A quick way to verify that is the cause of no backup lights is to leave the ignition switch on, unplug the connector, then jump the two outer terminals together with a stretched out cotter pin or paper clip. If you see a very tiny spark, you'll know current is flowing to the lights but to double-check, you'll see the lights are on if you look at them.

That little spark observation doesn't work on the newer trucks starting with at least the '06 models. On those, the insane engineers use the switch to ground a pin for the "Integral Power Module", a computer under the hood which turns on the circuit for the backup lights. I don't think that nonsense applies to an '02 model.

It's recommended you replace the thin metal gasket with the new switch. If you use a used switch, the gasket will stick to it. Few people use a new gasket with them.

Here are some diagrams (BELOW).

They also call it a transmission range sensor
+9
Thursday, November 10th, 2011 AT 8:50 PM
KEN
Hello there,

I found this diagram for you, it looks like it is down near the transmission gear selector lever. The neutral safety switch is integrated into the range selector switch. Click the image below.

Please let us know if this helps.

Best, Ken
+5
Tuesday, August 16th, 2016 AT 10:27 AM
SHYLA GREEN
  • 2002 DODGE RAM
Truck wont start sometimes I can turn key on put into neutral and will start. There are two different types of switches for this model, how can I figure out where it is?
+5
Tuesday, December 13th, 2016 AT 5:30 PM (Merged)
WRENCHTECH
They call it a transmission range sensor. It should be mounted to the side of the transmission, right at the shifter shaft.
KLEGGSKAA
  • 2001 DODGE RAM
Where is the neutral safety switch located
+3
OBXAUTOMEDIC

Diagram attached.
+3
JONATHONMCDUFFIE
  • 1981 DODGE RAM
Were is the neutral safety switch located on a 81 dodge ram 250
Thursday, May 11th, 2017 AT 12:29 PM (Merged)
DOCFIXIT
Left side trans believe Four wires