IF MY OIL HAS BEEN CHANGED AND OIL FILTER IS NEW, WHY IS MY OIL LIGHT ON?

2002 Dodge Intrepid

Jebrigden

December, 14, 2011 AT 5:43 AM

My oil light recently came on after I had the oil changed. They used 10w-30 and had the correct oil filter. A few days later the light came on, I immediately checked my oil. The line was right where it should be. There is no oil leaking from anywhere. The oil light does not come on until the car has reached standard temperature. Also it stays on until Im traveling fast enough to reach 2000rpms or more. So its only on while the car is standard temp. Any other time its off. I have replaced everything I can and will replace the bolt just in case next time I get the oil changed. Also at the point the light first came on I went and changed the oil to 5w-30 due to owners manual intructions. 2002 Dodge Intrepid 2.7L 65,000 miles

rivermikerat

December, 14, 2011 AT 5:48 AM

Check the oil pressure. Rent or borrow an oil pressure gauge from a parts store such as Advanced, O'Reilly's, Pep Boys, etc. Use another vehicle to get there and back. Remove the oil pressure switch (see image) and replace it with the oil pressure gauge. The gauge should read at least 20-30 PSI with the engine running. If not, the oil pump is failing.

Engine Oil Change and Filter Kia Forte
Engine Oil Change and Filter BMW 5 Series
Oil Change and Filter Replacement Toyota
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Toyota
Engine Oil Change and Filter Mini Cooper
Engine Oil Change and Filter Chevrolet Cruze