WHAT MIGHT BE CAUSING COOLANT TO TRANSFER FROM THE RADIATOR TO THE OVERFLOW TANK AND NOT GO BACK?

2002 Dodge Caravan

GEARHEAD100

May, 6, 2012 AT 10:09 PM

The radiator cap has been replaced twice and the hose between the radiator and overflow tank has been replaced. There are no coolant leaks. Had a mechanic pressurize the radiator and perform a leak-down test to see if there was a cylinder head or intake manifold gasket leak-none. The temperature gauge reads normal. The coolant transfer isn't constant. It seems like the system really doesn't like 100% coolant in the radiator. When it drops enough to raise the overflow tank roughly 2 inches above the min line in the overflow tank, it seems to slow down. However, that may just be a coincidence. If I let the car come up to temp with the radiator cap off and rev the engine, the coolant drops in the radiator and then surges up when the throttle is released, which almost seems like trapped air. However, the front end of the car was raised to get the radiator cap to be the highest point and purge all air. The problem was discovered when sufficient coolant transferred to the overflow tank to cause the engine to overheat briefly. I also replaced the cooling fan relay since the mechanic mentioned they are problematic with this car.

Cooling Fan Problem

Radiator On

1 ANSWER

May, 6, 2012 AT 10:11 PM

No, it is normal for the coolant to lower at high rpm and burp at idle.

You have a loss somewhere but you need dye in the system to determine the leak

GEARHEAD100

May, 6, 2012 AT 11:22 PM

Hi Roy,
I don't seem to be losing any fluid, it just moves from the radiator to the overflow tank.

May, 7, 2012 AT 2:36 AM

Ok, sorry. That is usually an indicator of a bad cap but you replaced it. Did you use a new one?

GEARHEAD100

May, 8, 2012 AT 12:18 AM

Roy,

I've tried 2 new Stant brand caps and 1 Murray. The Murray was low quality and I quickly got rid of it.

May, 8, 2012 AT 12:40 AM

Is the top of the radiator itself where the cap goes damaged in any way?

GEARHEAD100

May, 8, 2012 AT 2:00 AM

Not that I can tell. I used a pressure tester to pressurize the radiator and it held pressure. If the car sits for several hours after being driven, it still has pressure when I remove the cap. I used a depth micrometer to check the variation in depth from the top sealing surface to the bottom sealing surface in the radiator inlet and it only varied by a few thousanths of an inch.

Radiator Replacement Mercedes Benz ML 500
Radiator Replacement Kia Sportage
Coolant Drain and Refill Scion XD
Radiator Fluid Flush and Fill Ford Explorer
Coolant Drain and Refill
Radiator Coolant Drain and Refill Mini Cooper