2002 Chrysler Sebring CAM sensor

DSTONEN
  • 2002 CHRYSLER SEBRING
I have this Sebring 2.7 cracked the block so I got it fixed everything new on top heads, timing, cam, ect. Drives good for about 8 month all of a sudden one day won't turn over towed to shop found out the cam an crank sensor won't sync up, so we wiggle the cam sensor car cranks up so mechanic put a phat oring around the sensor an stuffs it in the whole very tight so we move sensor around till car starts an let go of sensor done deal car cranks all the time we just leave the sensor screw out fat oring holds in place but after a while oring need to be replaced cause it becomes thin from heat so I replaced it a few times then got to thinking what kind of mechanic would use this as a solution an charge me 125.00 he need to fix this thing cause I feel like the problem is in his work anyway some were in the cam wheel or timing chain or cam sprocket. Because the cam sensor is good it's a mapor and it won't even throw a code for cam sensor or crank sensor so I took both valve cover heads off an looke for the timing marks I can't see th mark on the primary chain but I do see the mark on the rear cam sprocket also on the secondary chains I count the links should be 12 links between marks on the rear secondary chain it is correct 12 links not links but marks dots whatever u wanna call it on the chain but on the front one I count 13 links also the chain appeared to be loose but as I bumped the motor with the key the primary tension extended out further an took all the slake away I must say.I just don't see the dark link that should line up wit the timing mark on the primary chain rear cam sprocket, an I count 13 links on the front cam sprocket for the timing mark on the cam sprocket. HELP PLEASE HELP ALSO IT SEEM LIKE THE WATER PUMP WAS FAILING CAUSE NO HEAT AT IDEAL OR REVEN AN THE THE CAR WOULD SLIGHTLY OVER HEAT BUT THEN WEN DOIN ABOUT 50 miles hr heat kicked in an car cooled down an ran as normal as it should I was wondering if this was also a timing chain issue cause I had some one to crank the car with the valve covers off so I could look an see if a sprocket was bent or see any thin out of the norm but only thing I notice was the main tensioner was clicking as the car was turning it was makin a clicking sound don't no if it was retracting back an forth or what is this noise ok? Thanks
Monday, December 8th, 2014 AT 12:51 AM

ASEMASTER6371
First, you need a new mechanic. That move with the cam sensor is not a professional repair. The sensor should be replaced to start with. If the sensor is not centered and in the correct position, if it off it will effct the sync.

What concerns me is the clicking of the main tensioner. It should not click at all. It is run by oil pressure and should move smoothly in and out when required.

What kind of warranty did you receive on the motor? This should be covered.

Monday, December 8th, 2014 AT 7:46 AM
DSTONEN
He just replaced the parts that's all it's been about a year now I would like to reiterate that the valve covers were off and there were no oil pressure when that main tensioner was clicking I had someone turn the key and it was clicking it tighten the chain up eventually because the chain was very loose. At first when I went under the hood so I think that this tensioner might be working and not working and it's affecting my water pump and cam sensor but since he did work I'm going to hold him responsible for this what about the secondary cams counts 12 on one and 13 on the Other. Also this is the third new Mopar cam sensor I checked the wiring and the ground on the sensor wire all good.
Monday, December 8th, 2014 AT 12:16 PM
ASEMASTER6371
Now I would like to reiterate that the valve covers were off and there were no oil pressure when that main tensioner was clicking

this does not make sense. The tensioner should not make any noise at rest.

The links being off is a concern. The one chain needs to be adjusted to the 12 links.

The slack from the chains will be normal at rest but tensions up when oil pressure applied. The small chains are not effected by the tensioner. I suggest replacing the tensioner as it sounds like it is not working correctly.

Monday, December 8th, 2014 AT 12:24 PM
DSTONEN
Can I ask what you think would be interfering with the cam sensor syncing with the crank sensor It won't sync when screwed down do u think it's because of the link count or the main tensioner thanks cause everything else looks good an to replace main tensioner do u have to take the whole motor apart like replacing a timing chain thanks
Monday, December 8th, 2014 AT 12:35 PM
ASEMASTER6371
The tensioner is easy. Remove the power steering pump and the tensioner comes out the back

with the one link off, that will set a sync code.

Monday, December 8th, 2014 AT 12:38 PM
DSTONEN
Never got a code
Monday, December 8th, 2014 AT 12:58 PM
DSTONEN
So u sayin that's a sync issue an that's why I faint sync up
Monday, December 8th, 2014 AT 1:00 PM
ASEMASTER6371
That's correct.

Monday, December 8th, 2014 AT 1:04 PM
DSTONEN
I finally got the primary tensioner out but when it came out the chain stiffened up on that side so the Slack is basically on the right side of the car my mechanic said that I would have to take the whole timing chain cover off and we said the chain is this true is there any other way that I can get the slack back over by the tensioner. Also I need a new tensioner this one is no good come to find out. They tried to reset it with no luck.
Tuesday, December 9th, 2014 AT 10:48 AM
DSTONEN
It's seems like with a crow bar lifting up on the tensioner guide I might b able to get the main tensioner in with a little force I just wanted to no as long as I don't mess with the timing I can pop one tensioner out an pop the one in an crank car after everything is assembled meaning I don't have to rest the timing to replace the main tensioner? Please sir waiting on you, thanks
Tuesday, December 9th, 2014 AT 11:37 AM
DSTONEN
What happened no answers I took out the tensioner an I was waiting to get an answer nothing
Thursday, December 11th, 2014 AT 11:35 AM
DSTONEN
Lord please help me I have taken the timing chain an crank sprocket off the 2.7 sebring without setting the TDC OR LINING THE CRANK TO THE OIL PUMP I TRIED TO PUT THE CRANKSHAFT BACK ON I Got it on halfway but I cannot turn the crankshaft atoll again crankshaft was halfway on because I can't find the correct tools to push the crankshaft back on and try to at least turn the crank to TDC or says I did that what should I do please help.
Saturday, December 13th, 2014 AT 6:19 PM
ASEMASTER6371
Sorry, had computer issues yesterday.

You will not change timing by changing the main tensioner. Make sure the chain does not move on any gears.

The one cam out of timing with its own chain that is out should be put back in time. That will be more involved. Are you willing to try it yourself?

Sunday, December 14th, 2014 AT 12:26 PM
DSTONEN
Roy my last question I need help with it please I'm past the main tensioner.I took the chain an crankshaft sprocket off without lining up the crankshaft marks to oil pump I also moved the cams by mistake with the chain off tryin to unscrew the right one this so I'm lost as to what to do
Sunday, December 14th, 2014 AT 2:16 PM
ASEMASTER6371
Why did you take the crank gear off?

To get the slack, all you had to do was move the crank slightly without removing anything.

We knew the main was bad in the beginning but now you have to start all over again with the timing. That's a shame. Your mechanic should have told you how to install the main tensioner.

I will look for the info on doing the timing but it is tricky and frustrating. You will also need to correct the cam timing as well.

Let me look for the info for you.

Sunday, December 14th, 2014 AT 2:29 PM
ASEMASTER6371
File:///C:/Users/Roy/Desktop/sebring. GIF
file:///C:/Users/Roy/Desktop/sebring2. GIF

see if these open
Sunday, December 14th, 2014 AT 2:36 PM
DSTONEN
Yea I did now to hold pressure on the chain when I take the main tensioner out the slack was on the left side I told my mechanic an he said I have to remove the timing cover now cause we just don't now how the slack looks down there, so I did I was gonna chasing oil pump an thermostat while DOIN it but I took the crank sprocket off without setting the mark or TDC an I moved one of the cam sprockets without the chain on, but I need to rest the secondary anyway cause it was off an cam an crank would not communicate so I just wanted to no that I didn't ruin the motor an as long as he can set the timing all over fine I changed the oil pump an thermostat I put oil pan back an muffler pipe an all is left is to set timing I just wanna no if a professional can do it.
Sunday, December 14th, 2014 AT 3:53 PM
ASEMASTER6371
I would let someone with experience set up the chains for you then you could put all the covers back on. You did not ruin anything.

Sunday, December 14th, 2014 AT 3:59 PM
DSTONEN
Ok thank u much.
Sunday, December 14th, 2014 AT 4:01 PM
ASEMASTER6371
Your welcome
Sunday, December 14th, 2014 AT 4:03 PM