Security system

WCORMIER
  • 2002 CHEVROLET IMPALA
  • 120 MILES
I have a chev impala ls 2002 that the security system will not let the car start until it resets itself. It usually takes about ten minutes and happens about two or three times aweek. Is there anything that I can do to fix this.
Wednesday, June 15th, 2011 AT 10:26 PM

SATURNTECH9
The first thing you need to do is have your body control codes read and see what codes you have that would be your starting point. The only problem is going to be even with the codes you will still need a scan tool that can read the body control module live data to follow the trouble to diagnose your codes you have. Your best bet is to just take it in and have it looked at.
Wednesday, June 15th, 2011 AT 11:10 PM
WRENCHTECH
Saturntech has given you the proper way to approach this problem but let me add this. The most common failure here is the Passlock sensor in the ignition switch. They fail quite often. You could change the whole lock or I can give you a way to permanently bypass that component. The rest of the system will have to be working correctly so if the problem is something else, this won't work.

PASSLOCK SENSOR BYPASS

If you find the black wire and the yellow wire from the passlock sensor in the column you can solder in a 2.2 K ohm resistor and then attempt to start the car. It will stall don't turn the ignition off. Let the ignition on for ten minutes or until the theft light goes out. Turn the key off for ten seconds then attempt to start the car. If it now runs you have been successful. If it doesn't you either made a mistake or there are other problems besides the ignition lock cylinder.
Thursday, June 16th, 2011 AT 12:04 AM