I NEED HELP INSTALLING A TRANSFER CASE SEAL

2002 Cadillac Escalade

sandhead

December, 10, 2010 AT 11:57 PM

I am leaking fluid from the rear seal on the transfer case, even with a brand new seal. Have 1/4 of play back and forth in the shaft so I bought a new bushing to hold it tight again but I don't know how to change it?

I need to install the new bushing I just bought of holding the yoke of the rear drive shaft as it slides onto the out put shaft. It seems to have a lot of play and dumping fluid out the rear seal. I've always done all my own work so I have the tools and knowledge just haven't don't this job yet. Even a diagram and/or pictures would be great.

Front Transfer Case Seal

Bad Seals

factoryjack

December, 11, 2010 AT 4:33 AM

I believe this bushing is serviced as part of the transfer case housing only. The one you purchased, is it aftermarket? I think if you research it with a GM parts dealer, you will find it is not a serviceable part. I had one a while back, that I tried to get the bushing out, and ended up destroying it trying. All it did was break into pieces.

sandhead

December, 11, 2010 AT 6:05 AM

Yes, I was able to buy it at the dealer. Its then metal, not what I was expecting. Even if it wore all the way through this thing it's so thin I think I have more play then the thickness of both walls together. It's my moms escalade and she flat out does not have the money for a new case so I need to figure something out. How did you get yours out? My shop manuals and any other one I can find barley tells you how to change fluid & the rear seal & nothing at all more in-depth like this. I know theres a web sight you can see manuals for free but I cant remember it, any ideas? THX!

sandhead

December, 11, 2010 AT 9:38 PM

I bought it at the dealer and its thin metal ring about 1.5 inches wide. I went to the library and on the computers located shop manual that tells how to pull it with a puller. Great you put the puller in the middle and pull it out. Now i'm home and it dawns on me the out put shaft is in the middle unless you have it all apart and only the housing to work on. Da! So now what, how do I get the old one out?

factoryjack

December, 12, 2010 AT 7:07 PM

The one that I had was thick bronze material, it appeared to be bonded in the case, and just broke into pieces as I worked at it. A couple things to consider, is that if the bushing has spun, or worn through, the case may be damaged by consequence. The case is not hard to remove from the vehicle, the only part you would need is an adapter gasket. Splitting the case is nothing more than the bolts that surround, and tapping the case halves apart. A normal engine adhesive like GM p/n 12378521 is used to reseal the case.

Drive Shaft Removal - All Cars
CV Drive Axle Replacement Nissan Altima
Clutch/Flywheel/Rear Main Seal Replacement