02 BMW OVERHEATING AT IDLE AND SERVICE LIGHT COMES ON SOMETIMES

• Bmwman123
  • 2002 BMW 330ci

I had the fan Change/radiator/cap still over heats at idle also last night while driving it started to overheat again as I slow down to come to a complete stop I notice there was a trail of water with a big puddle under the car it look like the water was coming from the cap but by the time I pop the hood there no signs of a leak so I poored some more water(mechanic told me to use water until I can find the problem) also notice it overheats faster when the A/C is on

Saturday, July 21st, 2012 AT 1:51 PM

• KHLow2008

You changed all 3 components? What about the thermostat?

Saturday, July 21st, 2012 AT 1:54 PM
  • Bmwman123

No I didn't but I didn't think it was the thermostat since it starts to shake a liltle when the temp gauge starts to creep up and the the engine starts to act up not very noticeable though

Saturday, July 21st, 2012 AT 2:03 PM
  • Bmwman123

It's also throwing misfire codes when I went to advance auto parts they said it was cylinder 5 and 4 and when I got it check with the mechanic it read out 1 and 3 and not the others(5 and 4) when it's not overheating it drives smooth with no codes

Saturday, July 21st, 2012 AT 2:09 PM
  • Bmwman123

And I would think the thermostat works because when I look in the expansion tank I notice the water getting swallowed up and gets squirted back

Saturday, July 21st, 2012 AT 2:23 PM
  • KHLow2008

Thermostat could be working but it can open partially whereby restrictions occurs in the coolant flow.

Saturday, July 21st, 2012 AT 2:51 PM
  • KHLow2008

"I had the fan Change/radiator/cap"

What was changed?

Saturday, July 21st, 2012 AT 2:52 PM
  • Bmwman123

Ok I'll have my mechanic change that on Monday. All three of them were changed

Saturday, July 21st, 2012 AT 2:58 PM
  • Bmwman123

After changing the thermostat it went two days without over heating except on the second day coolant light kept coming on and off and then on the third day it started to over heat again.I keep having to top off with water again. One thing I notice before they change the thermostat to the new one was that it was shooting the water and after they change the thermostat it was flowing evenly now it's back to shooting the water again.

Monday, July 30th, 2012 AT 7:29 AM
  • KHLow2008

Have a pressutre test done to check for a bad head gasket and/or leakage in the cooling system.

Monday, July 30th, 2012 AT 1:11 PM
  • Bmwman123

Sorry when I said shooting water I meant from the little small whole within the the expansion tank not the actual expansion tank it self. That small liltle hole that pours back the coolant into the expansion tank. **Update I bled it last night and screwed on the top tight since last time I didnt tighten it and it started to leak out out from the cap and got overheated so after doing that I drove it this morning for about 15 miles never got overheated but the coolant light kept coming on.I don't wanna open it again since last time I opened up the cap it was filled with coolant and left the cap a liltle loose and that's when it got overheated

Monday, July 30th, 2012 AT 3:22 PM