TRACTION CONTROL

2002 BMW 325i

snaughton@yahoo.com

January, 30, 2011 AT 1:06 AM

I have a 2002 bmw 325i, and the DSC (traction control) switch is inop. Are there any common problems with these? Like a switch, fuse, or module. There is no check engine lights or warning indicators on either

Dr. Hagerty

January, 30, 2011 AT 4:42 AM

Inop meaning the switch does not turn the DSC light on the dash on, or the DSC does not work at all?

snaughton@yahoo.com

January, 30, 2011 AT 5:14 AM

Both, no light turns on and the DSC does not work. But if I do hit gravel or lose traction the traction control works fine. It turns on and the traction indicator flashes when I lose traction. But I can not turn it off so I dont have DSC(traction) I need to turn it off so I can smog the vehicle since they do that with rollers on the drive tires, that means the front tires arent moving and the rear are, and with traction control on it senses lose of traction since the different wheel speeds, and turns the traction control back on

Dr. Hagerty

January, 30, 2011 AT 5:20 AM

The switch could be defective. If the issue persists you may need to seek your BMW service providers' assistance as there is little that I can do from here with the information provided.

snaughton@yahoo.com

January, 30, 2011 AT 5:45 AM

Im a certified ford technician so will be fixing the car myself nomatter what, but was courious if it is a common problem considering theres no code or light for the problem, just a place to start

Dr. Hagerty

It is not a common problem. The way your description reads is not at all common, usually the issue with the DSC manifests itself as a total failure of the DSC and the light stays on all the time. I have never seen the failure as you are experiencing it. It could be something in the button or the wiring, try popping the button out and inspecting the connector and see if the contacts in the button are working. You mention there isn't a fault code set, what method are you using to read the faults?

otmkp

August, 10, 2015 AT 8:41 AM

My car is doing the same thing. What did you end up doing to fix it?

Wonder How Traction Control Works?
ABS Computer Replacement