TRANSMISSION

2001 Volkswagen Passat

cdang89

March, 26, 2011 AT 2:28 PM

Hi, my name is Charlie. My car suspension has been lowered, and not to long ago I hit a road bump which hit my transmission, not sure how hard it hit but hard enough my transmission pan leaked. My transmission pan was temporarily welded to close the crack.
My gear now and then has an awkward rough shift betweeen 3 down to 2 or some times on right turns it will shift down and***** hard.
In this situation would a transmission pan replacement and proper fluid change help this issue? Or my transmission is comepletly garbage now.

Recently performed
Welded transmission pan crack to stop the leak
Changed Transmission fluid and filter.
since my car did not have a dipstick designed into the engine I am a novice DIY joe so therefore wondering if I topped my fluid up wrong.

cup1981

June, 23, 2011 AT 6:48 AM

The first mistake was having it welded. You should never weld anything like this, as a piece of the weld can break loose and get into the trans causing headaches.

It is possible that you filled the transmission incorrectly, but if so, the damage is already done.

Do not change the fluid and filter, as doing this once a problem is present may cause additional problems.

Have the transmission check by a specialist and hopefully it turns out to be just a sensor.

Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma
Transmission Drain and Refill Kia Sportage
Automatic Transmission Service
Transmission Fluid Replacement Mercedes Benz
Transmission Service Ford Super Duty F-250