I CAN SHIFT CAR INTO ALL GEARS WITH SHIFTER BUT ...

2001 Volkswagen Beetle

mikusak

December, 29, 2012 AT 12:16 AM

I can shift car into all gears with shifter but when in reverse the car does not engage the gear nor will it move. I can hear the motor rev but will not move the tires do not spin.

DrCranknWrench

December, 29, 2012 AT 1:40 AM

The shaft for that gear and the rear syncro have been damamged and are metal floating around in your trnamsission just waiting to do dage. Before you do catasrphic damamge, take it to a transmission specialist and see if it can be fixed without a full re-build. I do believe you will need to go ahead and re-build the entire tranmsission though.

exovcds

December, 29, 2012 AT 1:46 AM

Could be a problem with one of the solenoids in the valve body. Possibly stuck / not allowing activation of reverse.

Transmission shop should be able to diagnose for you.

Thomas

exovcds

December, 29, 2012 AT 1:47 AM

Sorry, my bad. Thought it was an auto tranny. LOL

Thomas

mikusak

December, 30, 2012 AT 3:42 PM

Thanks guys, this is an automatic trans sorry I did not state this earlier. Still have same issues is there any external linkage or connections that would cause this?

exovcds

December, 30, 2012 AT 4:53 PM

No.

Does it display R in the dash when shifter is in the R position?

Tranny shop and scan tool next step.

Thomas

mikusak

December, 30, 2012 AT 7:32 PM

We had it scanned at auto zone no trans codes came up and it does display r on dash when put in reverse. You can hear it spin but no front tire movement. It feels like no power is getting to the front end when in reverse, sounds like every thing is working, but no movement. In drive it works and drives fine. I am stumped as to what it might be? I even looked under the bug to see if there are any loose connections or any leakage from the trans or trans axel none was found. Once again thanks for all the help.

exovcds

December, 30, 2012 AT 7:36 PM

It's an internal transmission problem. A proper scan tool can "see" TCM (transmission control module) commanding reverse. If TCM is commanding
but reverse is not engaging, the problem is hydraulic or mechanical (with whatever parts are responsible for reverse gear).

Thomas

exovcds

December, 30, 2012 AT 7:42 PM

Search on Google: VW 01M Transmission

sample result:

http://www.kansascitytdi.com/Fail%20analysis1.htm

Thomas

exovcds

December, 30, 2012 AT 7:47 PM

I think I found a thread that covers your problem:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=258360

GreenergySystems (original poster) posted fix on page 2.... tranny still needs to be take apart. :-(

Thomas

DrCranknWrench

January, 3, 2013 AT 11:24 AM

Follow exovds instructions as he is the Volkwagan guru. It difniately sounds internal.

Transmission Mount Replacement - RWD Cars
Automatic Transmission Service