Toyota Trans Problem

EGGSTER
  • 2001 TOYOTA HIGHLANDER
Toyota 2001 Highlander 6cyl.
Transmission starts off working great. I could drive 100 highway miles with no problem. Then is I stop at a light, when I resume driving the Trans will not upshift into over-drive. If I shut the car off and restart it, the trans is back to normal. I do have a code telling me my Knock sensor is bad but I don't think that would have a conection to my Trans.
Eggster
Thursday, December 30th, 2010 AT 3:47 PM

DOCFIXIT
Knock sensor code set will put ECM in fail safe mode which will cause trans not to shift into OD.
+3
Thursday, December 30th, 2010 AT 4:30 PM
LAMBIGDADDY
Eggster, I am having the same exact prob with my Highlander as you were. But was told that is is very unusual for a knock sensor to go in a toyota? They told me that that it never happens just not really heard of. Very far a few I was told. So, was it ur knock sensor that caused your Highlander to not shift into OD? Can u p;ease let me know. Wut u found out. Thanks
Wednesday, October 19th, 2011 AT 2:03 AM
RIVERMIKERAT
Eggster, has your issue been resolved?
-1
Monday, November 28th, 2011 AT 2:50 AM
GREASEDUDE
I am having the same exact problem with my Highlander as described above. Car drives fine until I reduce speed; then it won't go back into OD. Then I shut off; restart, and I m fine; until I reduce speed again; then I m locked out of OD again I was getting a knock sensor code, but was also told it is is very unusual for a knock sensor to go in a toyota. I changed mine anyway. Situation improved for a while; then started again, including getting the knock sensor code again. Seems impossible that the knock sensor has gone bad again. Has anyone figured out how to solve this problem? Thanks. Greasedude.
+4
Friday, November 9th, 2012 AT 10:05 PM
RIVERMIKERAT
Eggster hasn't replied in almost a month, Greasedude. I would suggest having a shop perform a complete code scan, tell them both hard AND soft codes. Soft codes won't set the CEL/SES light.
-1
Friday, November 9th, 2012 AT 11:09 PM