STEERING COLUMN

• TUESDAY
  • 2001 Saturn SL2

THE STEERING COLUMN LOCKED UP. HOW DO I GET IT TO UNLOCK?

Tuesday, May 29th, 2012 AT 4:28 AM

• promechanic
  • 551 posts

Try turning the wheel hard back and fourth. Then try pressing the brake and wiggling the shifter. These are the most common easy fixes.

Tuesday, May 29th, 2012 AT 4:54 AM
  • saturntech9

Just to add to this one the most common reason for the ignition to not turn on that car is a worn out key or a bad binding ignition cylinder. Does the key look worn down?Do you have a spare key not as worn down you can try?Also you can try wiggling the key side to side while trying to turn the key. Let me know whats going on I know these cars inside and out.

Tuesday, May 29th, 2012 AT 5:16 AM
  • saturntech9

Also another trick is to tap lightly on the key hole opening with a hammer then try turning it with the key.

Tuesday, May 29th, 2012 AT 5:18 AM
  • TUESDAY

WE HAVE TRIED ALL THE EASY STEPS BUT STILL NO LUCK. NO WE R DOWN TO REMOVING THE STEERING WHEEL. THANK U ALL FOR UR REPLYS ON MY QUESTION THO.

Tuesday, May 29th, 2012 AT 5:33 AM
  • saturntech9

So what are you going to do after removing the steering wheel?Thats not going to make your key turn. So are you just trying to replace the ignition cylinder at this point?

Tuesday, May 29th, 2012 AT 5:36 AM
  • saturntech9

Heres my advice if you cant get the ignition cylinder to turn. There is two 5.5mm headed screws holding the upper steering column shroud on remove those. Then remove the three 5.5mm headed screws holding the lower steering column shrouds. Then remove the igniton cylinder bezel it justs pops off. The drill out the ignition cylinder so you can turn the cylinder to the acc position. With the cylinder in the acc position look on the side of the ignition housing facing towards the radio. You will see a small hole to insert a bent paper clip long pop rivet etc. Insert one to release the ignition cylinder then pop the cylinder loose with a screw driver. Now you can replace the ignition cylinder.

Tuesday, May 29th, 2012 AT 6:27 AM