WHERE SHOULD I LOOK NEXT?

2001 Saturn SL1

atilary

July, 7, 2012 AT 4:58 AM

I have a saturn s series 2001. It feels like the engine is missing and the transmission isn't shifting as smoothly as it did. I first noticed it when I got gas a week ago and instead of the normal 32 or so mpg I had gotten about 26 on that tank. Since then I have put in new spark plugs, spark plug wires, checked and rechecked the fluids and looked at the vacuum lines for deterioration to rule that out. I also ran a bottle of injector cleaner though on the off chance it might help. It seems to be getting progressively worse. What could this be and where should I look next?

saturntech9

July, 7, 2012 AT 6:08 AM

What kind of plugs did you put in?Any codes in the computer?Also do you have to ever let up on the gas for the transmission to shift?Is it missing at idle?Or while driving?

mikederouin88

July, 7, 2012 AT 8:12 AM

You need to pull a fuel sample to check for water. If it is getting worse are u still on that same tank of gas? If so fill it up and see if it gets better.

saturntech9

July, 7, 2012 AT 2:42 PM

Also could try a good fuel drier if water is suspected.

atilary

July, 7, 2012 AT 5:48 PM

I put in autolite double platinums, the same kind I put in about two years ago that have worked fine. It isn't showing a check engine light but I will have a parts store see if they can read a code. It does seem like I need to let off the gas for it to shift on occasion. I spayed catv cleaner to check for a bad intake gasket but it idled fine throughout it. The problem occurs at low to high speed but not at idle. The object cleaner had should have removed any water but I grabbed a bottle of water remover to make sure. I will put it on when I top off the tank and get the codes checked later today. At this point with the intake gasket seeming to be fine I'm at the end of what I can conf up with to check.

atilary

July, 7, 2012 AT 5:50 PM

Stupid phone. I spayed carb cleaner and the injector cleaner should have removed any water.

saturntech9

July, 8, 2012 AT 4:22 PM

I would never run platnuim plugs in those engines they tend to carbon foul I know you had good luck with them in the past. But I have seen them cause problem in a lot of those engines carbon fouling. So I would only run stock copper ngk plugs thats what I have in my 1999 Sl2 saturn. Also the spark plug wires are routed correctly?Check and see if the short vacuum line running from the intake manifold to pcv is leaking vacuum or colasped?If it is replace the hose.

Spark Plug Replacement Ford Explorer 4.6L V8
Spark Plug Replacement Toyota Corolla 2000-20
Spark Plug Replacement Mercedes Benz C230
Spark Plug Replacement Toyota Tacoma
Spark Plug Replacement Mercedes Benz ML500
Spark Plug Replacement Honda Element