CAR REVING TOO HIGH WHEN STOPPED

2001 Saturn SC2

candyheart

February, 1, 2011 AT 5:53 PM

2001 saturn. Check engine soon light comes on and car rev's when at a stop to 2rpm then down to 1rpm never goes below.
What is this and what should I do.I brought it in to have the machine find it and it say emissions so we later found that it was the gas cap not turned tight.
Now the cap is but it came back on.

February, 1, 2011 AT 6:19 PM

Check engine light on

Have the computer scanned for code/s-you have a problem within the engine management system that caused the CEL to turn on-This is your starting point of diagnosis, finding out what's going on.

candyheart

February, 2, 2011 AT 4:55 PM

I have had the computer scan and it said emissions. It was the gas cap not on properly. Now it's on again and revving high. Do I still scan again? Or what could it be?

February, 2, 2011 AT 6:13 PM

Try cleaning out the idle air control valve and see what happens also look for vacumm leaks

candyheart

February, 2, 2011 AT 7:20 PM

Thanks I will and see if that works ; -)

h2eat3h

February, 16, 2011 AT 4:41 PM

Not sure if this has to do with it, but my 2001 Saturn SC2 was revving high how you are saying. It also would not start sometimes. It would act like it was going to start, and then wouldn't. Then it would start in 20 minutes or so like nothing was ever wrong. Eventually, the mechanic changed out the electronic control board that they had to get from Saturn and I haven't had any problems with the revving or the starting since they changed it out.

candyheart

February, 23, 2011 AT 7:57 AM

The check engine light has gone out by itself again and the revving has stopped also. Why has this happened? I didn't even get it checked.

Vacuum Leak Test and Repair - All Cars