I HAVE A 2001 SATURN L300

• chrissyduster
  • 2001 Saturn L300

Hi, I have a 2001 Saturn L300. When I drive the car it wont change from 2nd to 3rd gear. It will just have the RPM's go between the 5 and 6. It also wont pick up speed. I have just changed the fuel filter. My car started off jurking when shifting gears before it stopped going into gear. I have the codes P0102 and P0116 on the car. Can you please help me with this?

Wednesday, October 31st, 2012 AT 5:49 PM

• saturntech9

Try this what if you let up on the gas pedal a little will it then shift from second to 3rd?

Wednesday, October 31st, 2012 AT 6:02 PM
  • saturntech9

The p0102 is mass air flow sensor low frequency the code P0116 is engine coolant temperture sensor performance The two codes are probably related since that code can set from two great of a temp reading difference from the ambient temp sensor located in the mass air flow sensor. You will need a scan tool that can read live mass air flow and coolant temp sensor data. See if the mass air flow sensor harness is damaged chewed etc?

Wednesday, October 31st, 2012 AT 6:13 PM
  • chrissyduster

Where can I get a scan tool to read the live mass air flow and coolant temp sensor data? Also, is it safe to drive my car short distances until I can get the problem fixed?

Wednesday, October 31st, 2012 AT 10:30 PM
  • rivermikerat

You should be able to rent or borrow one from Autozone, Advanced Auto, or O'Reilly's. Usually they will want to take a hold a credit card or your ID if you're going to work on it in the parking lot.

Wednesday, October 31st, 2012 AT 10:35 PM
  • chrissyduster

Now when driving the car it drops out of gear and the RPM go up and when I came to a stop sign the car stalled. Would the mass air flow sensor cause the car to not go into gear and stall when coming to a stop?

Wednesday, October 31st, 2012 AT 11:31 PM
  • rivermikerat

Did the shifter move? Check the linkage t make sure it's all tight. The MAF COULD cause stalling, yes.

Wednesday, October 31st, 2012 AT 11:36 PM
  • chrissyduster

The shifter did not move and it started sounding like it was winding out when gas was given then it would catch and drive but at a slow pace. I couldn't give it gas or anything becuse it would go back out of gear

Wednesday, October 31st, 2012 AT 11:51 PM
  • rivermikerat

Check the linkage and check the fluid level.

Thursday, November 1st, 2012 AT 12:30 AM
  • chrissyduster

Ok the car doesn't have a dip stick to check the transmission fluid level. How would I do that? Is it the gear shifting linkage that you need me to check?

Thursday, November 1st, 2012 AT 1:10 AM
  • rivermikerat

Yes. The gear shift linkage.

1. Start engine and operate vehicle until transaxle fluid temperature reaches at least 104 F (40 C). Depress brake pedal and move shift lever through all gear ranges, pausing a few seconds in each range. Return shift lever to Park range. For vehicles equipped with 2.2L engine, go to next step. For vehicles equipped with 3.0L engine, go to step 3.
2. Remove clamp from A.I.R. Hose behind cooling fan. Separate A.I.R. Tube from hose and push tube back toward transaxle. See Fig 1. Note original position of A.I.R. Components. Remove power steering hose clip (1) holding 2 power steering lines together. See Fig 2.
3. Raise vehicle. Vehicle must be level, with engine running. Remove transaxle oil level plug. See Fig 3. Check fluid level. Transmission fluid level should be even with bottom of threaded plug hole. Check condition of transaxle fluid. See FLUID DIAGNOSIS .
4. If fluid level is low, add DEXRON-III ATF in increments of 0.5 Qt. Until fluid drains from plug hole. If more than 1.6 Qts. Of fluid needs to be added to transaxle, transaxle may have a leak.

Thursday, November 1st, 2012 AT 1:50 AM