CHECK ENGINE/ TCS OFF LIGHT, STALLING

2001 SAAB 9-5

samarra

May, 7, 2011 AT 5:25 PM

My question is two-fold, and not being a mechanic, I'm not sure they are related.

1) My 9-5 has had an ongoing issue over the last few weeks where it will not start after a short drive. After shifting the gears back and forth with the key turned to start, the car will start after 30-45 minutes.

2) Scenario 1 happened on Wendesday, and after I got the car cranked, the next time I cranked it, the TCS OFF and Engine lights came on, accompanied by a bad shake. Drove it home and when I went out to start it the next day, it stalled several times after a few seconds of running. Had to towed to a general mechanic (just bought the car a month and a half ago, don't have a Saab guy, yet) and when they got to it the next morning, it cranked right up and had no lights. I picked it up that night after they cranked it several times throughout the day and cleaned the connectors. The next day the same lights came back on and the car stalled twice while driving very slowly in a drive-thru and at a red light.

I don't know if this is worth mentioning or not, but I just got a new water pump installed the previous Monday and the oil changed, as well. Thanks for all the help you can give!

May, 7, 2011 AT 8:26 PM

2001 SAAB 9-5 Saab Check Engine/ TCS Off light, stalling

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/service-engine-soon-or-check-engine-light-on-or-flashing

Have the computer scanned for code/s-you have a problem within the engine management system that caused the CEL to turn on-This is your starting point of diagnosis,finding out what's going on.

samarra

May, 8, 2011 AT 5:36 PM

That would be the obvious solution, however, I'm all out of free towing on my AAA membership and I'm hesitant to drive it for fear of getting stuck somewhere. I would like some ideas of what it could be before I take it in to a mechanic, as cost depends on when I will be able to get it taken care of.

More information--When my car's water pump was getting fixed, they forgot to put a washer on right and it spewed oil for a moment and then they got it fixed. Could that contribute something to the problem, maybe even putting the car into "limp home mode"?

Thanks for ideas.

samarra

May, 8, 2011 AT 6:04 PM

Another message, more info.

My car IS in limp home mode. I took off my engine cover and accessed the throttle body and both pieces roll together at the same time, as seen in the youtube video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wr_CmGp20mk).

Could the mechanic's error installing the water pump incorrectly/or needing the water pump in the first place have triggered the Limp home mode? Or did a separate issue cause it?

mnthny4

May, 10, 2011 AT 2:53 PM

This is a separate issue, u will need to replace the throttle body assembly, but note when replacing u most first clear the codes from system then replace throttle body, u can also reset it first but again clear codes first then reset, said youtube should show u how to reset this, if not post back. Good luck.