WHAT WOULD CAUSE THE ENGINE TO SOUND LIKE AIR IS LEAKING?

• cmille82
  • 2001 Pontiac Sunfire

From the engine in a pattern about ever second when idling? Ex. Psht, Psht, Psht With some help I took on the task of replacing the engine cylinder head beacuse the cylinder 2 spark plug shot out of the old cylinder head. After replacing the old cylinder head while following the repair instructions to the "T" the engine runs fine with no loss of power or rough idle. What concerns me is the "psht" sound I described coming from the engine when it is running. The new cylinder head was a re manufactured head and I am afraid it may be defective. Please help.

Sunday, July 15th, 2012 AT 9:50 PM

• saturntech9

So sounds like a vacuum leak?You couldnt have installed a thread insert to repair the hole rather then replace the head?

Sunday, July 15th, 2012 AT 10:00 PM
  • cmille82

I exchanged the head for a another re manufactured head. It turns out air was leaking around the spark plugs. It was a re manufacturing defect. Now I have a new problem. After another cylinder head install, the engine is ticking. The engine idles fine, accelerates fine, but creates a loud ticking noise. The ticking increases with acceleration and sometimes is not present until the car engine warms up. Have any ideas on the new problem.

Thursday, September 6th, 2012 AT 7:52 PM
  • saturntech9

Is the noise coming from under the valve cover?

Thursday, September 6th, 2012 AT 8:40 PM
  • cmille82

I think so. It is really hard to tell. I had two mechanics tell me it sounds like a rocker arm but couldn't be certain.

Sunday, September 16th, 2012 AT 12:57 AM
  • CJ MEDEVAC

'NOTHER GUY

DID YOU REMOVE, LABEL, AND RE-INSTALL ALL OF THE LITTLE GOODIES BACK IN PLACE, EXACTLY AS THEY CAME OUT. TO INCLUDE PUSH RODS, ETC, ORIENTED IN THE DIRECTION THEY CAME OUT?

. OR DID WE JUST SORTA PILE EVERYTHING TOGETHER AND ASSUME ONE PART WAS EXACTLY LIKE ANOTHER AND INTERCHANGEABLE?

Sunday, September 16th, 2012 AT 1:35 AM
  • cmille82

Yes I took every thing out and assembled the rods into the same place. Although since these are not adjustable it shouldn't matter.

Sunday, September 16th, 2012 AT 1:44 AM
  • saturntech9

Get a long screw driver and see what see where the noise is coming from. You can put it up to your ear and touch different parts of the engine.

Sunday, September 16th, 2012 AT 4:25 PM