WHAT WOULD CAUSE THE ENGINE TO SOUND LIKE AIR IS LEAKING?

2001 Pontiac Sunfire

cmille82

July, 15, 2012 AT 9:50 PM

From the engine in a pattern about ever second when idling? Ex. Psht, Psht, Psht With some help I took on the task of replacing the engine cylinder head beacuse the cylinder 2 spark plug shot out of the old cylinder head. After replacing the old cylinder head while following the repair instructions to the "T" the engine runs fine with no loss of power or rough idle. What concerns me is the "psht" sound I described coming from the engine when it is running. The new cylinder head was a re manufactured head and I am afraid it may be defective. Please help.

saturntech9

July, 15, 2012 AT 10:00 PM

So sounds like a vacuum leak?You couldnt have installed a thread insert to repair the hole rather then replace the head?

cmille82

September, 6, 2012 AT 7:52 PM

I exchanged the head for a another re manufactured head. It turns out air was leaking around the spark plugs. It was a re manufacturing defect. Now I have a new problem. After another cylinder head install, the engine is ticking. The engine idles fine, accelerates fine, but creates a loud ticking noise. The ticking increases with acceleration and sometimes is not present until the car engine warms up. Have any ideas on the new problem.

saturntech9

September, 6, 2012 AT 8:40 PM

Is the noise coming from under the valve cover?

cmille82

September, 16, 2012 AT 12:57 AM

I think so. It is really hard to tell. I had two mechanics tell me it sounds like a rocker arm but couldn't be certain.

September, 16, 2012 AT 1:35 AM

'NOTHER GUY

DID YOU REMOVE, LABEL, AND RE-INSTALL ALL OF THE LITTLE GOODIES BACK IN PLACE, EXACTLY AS THEY CAME OUT. TO INCLUDE PUSH RODS, ETC, ORIENTED IN THE DIRECTION THEY CAME OUT?

. OR DID WE JUST SORTA PILE EVERYTHING TOGETHER AND ASSUME ONE PART WAS EXACTLY LIKE ANOTHER AND INTERCHANGEABLE?

cmille82

September, 16, 2012 AT 1:44 AM

Yes I took every thing out and assembled the rods into the same place. Although since these are not adjustable it shouldn't matter.

saturntech9

September, 16, 2012 AT 4:25 PM

Get a long screw driver and see what see where the noise is coming from. You can put it up to your ear and touch different parts of the engine.

Spark Plug Replacement Mercedes Benz C230
Spark Plug and Wire Replacement Ford Mustang
Spark Plug Replacement Mercedes Benz ML500