I CANT GET POWER TO THE STARTER WHEN I TURN THE ...

• chrs5503
  • 2001 Pontiac Sunfire

I can't get power to the starter when I turn the key to the crank position. I replaced the ignition switch and still got the same problem. I can start the car with the key in the on position when I jump the solenoid on the starter with a screwdriver and it runs and drives fine. This car has the 2.2 automatic and I've also tried to crank it in Neutral. Can you tell me what the problem is?

Monday, December 3rd, 2012 AT 11:07 PM

• rasmataz

Inspect and test the park and neutral switch-see below EWD

Tuesday, December 4th, 2012 AT 3:45 PM
  • chrs5503

I ended up finding the problem last night turns out the key cylinder wasn't turning far enough to fully engage the ignition switch. I disassembled the cylinder and there is a metal plate sitting ontop of about ten springs that was bent out of shape, so I bent it back to shape and glued it down and the problem is solved. The metal plate holds the springs down to create the resistance that holds the key in the cylinder, thanks for the help anyway though.

Tuesday, December 4th, 2012 AT 3:57 PM
  • rasmataz

You're welcome and thanks for coming back with the fix-Good Luck

Tuesday, December 4th, 2012 AT 4:00 PM