MY BRAKE LIGHTS BEGAN COMING ON AUTOMATICALLY

2001 Pontiac Sunfire

bradwright

November, 17, 2012 AT 4:05 PM

My brake lights began coming on automatically. It seemed to drain battery so I replaced brake light switch and battery. It ran one day but battery appeared drained again next morning. I replaced ignition switch and checked altertnator. It ran a couple days but wont even turn over now. I tried to reset the anti theft by leaving key on for 3 ten minute intervals but not having any luck. Any ideas?

November, 17, 2012 AT 4:14 PM

Are the brake lites still coming on? How did you check your charging system? Did you check for excess battery drain, before you replaced anything? Does the battery have a full charge, now? If you have a digital multimeter, we can help you do some testing.

bradwright

November, 17, 2012 AT 4:26 PM

The brake lights aren't coming on anymore. I checked the alt and battery by removing and having it tested. I dont have the multimeter.

November, 17, 2012 AT 5:40 PM

You need to have the charging system tested on the vehicle. If there is problem with wiring circuits, testing the alternator off the vehicle, won't test the wiring circuits to or from the alternator. A low end digital multimeter doesn't cost much. It's better than nothing. If your going to work on your own vehicles then you need a few diagnostic tools.

bradwright

November, 17, 2012 AT 6:00 PM

Thanks for the advice JDL. I'll locate a multimeter and get back to you.

November, 17, 2012 AT 6:43 PM

Hey man, let us know what you find.

If you place the meter leads across the battery posts, everything off, the generic spec for a full charge is around 12.6 volts. Take the same reading with engine running. The second reading should be higher than the first, if the charging system is working.

You an leave the leads hooked up during cranking, If the reading drops much below 9 volts, you need to get battery charged. Also, make sure battery connections are all clean and tight on both ends.

Yes, on some year--makes and models, if the battery voltage is lost, the vehicle can go into theft lock.

bradwright

November, 17, 2012 AT 7:20 PM

Problem solved. I started a charge on the battery and noticed sparks when I hooked up. I went back to the brake light switch and adjusted it. There was a piece of loose electrical tape off the pedal. It fired right up. Thanks, you saved my sanity.

November, 17, 2012 AT 7:43 PM

Hey, glad you found it, good job.

Step by Step Brake Light Switch Replacement
Brake Light Bulb Replacement Subaru Legacy
Brake Light Bulb Replacement Mercedes Benz ML
Brake Light Bulb Replacement
Brake Light Bulb Replacement Mercedes Benz
Brake Light Bulb Replacement Chevrolet