Why might "Service Engine Soon" for EGR Valve come on after new EGR Valve put in?

THEHEIMFAM
  • 2001 PONTIAC GRAND PRIX
On my son's 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix, due to the "Service Engine Soon" light on, the service station checked the code and it was the EGR valve again. I believe they said the code showed it in the "open" position. They now put in a new EGR valve. This replaced a used one they had put in sometime back. So now they said we should test drive it on the highway. Needed to run it for 3 cycles (assume get in some highway driving, 3 different times, right?). So the first trip from the service station was a short 5min drive in the city. Car was shutoff for 15 mins. So then when restarted, the "Service Engine Soon" light was on again. Could not getting it hot enough the first time, cause the EGR valve to get stuck open? I appreciate your thoughts. Thank you, Jeff
Friday, March 2nd, 2012 AT 2:23 AM

SATURNTECH9
I need to know the exact code number you have not the code description. There is more then one egr code for that car.
Friday, March 2nd, 2012 AT 2:44 AM