2001 MITSUBISHI ECLIPSE TRANSMISSION PROBLEM

• leopopow
  • 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse

My car suddenly went into "limp" mode. I can only get 3rd gear and reverse. I had the code pulled and it said that solenoid D is bad. There are 5 shift solenoids. Which one is D?

Tuesday, September 24th, 2013 AT 4:35 PM

• madmike1735
  • 963 posts

Do you plan on replacing this yourself? Its a pretty big job, and should be left to the professionals. In the meantime, I will find which one it is, and see if I can attach pictures, and more info.

Tuesday, September 24th, 2013 AT 5:04 PM
  • madmike1735
  • 963 posts

Solenoid 5 is torque converter clutch control solenoid. Solenoid valve harness color is blue, yellow, yellow. Im having difficulties trying to attach the photo of where its located. Maybe another tech here can attach it. I will keep trying in the mean time. Hope this helps.

Tuesday, September 24th, 2013 AT 5:13 PM
  • leopopow

Thanks. Actually, all five solenoids are inside a pan that is on the front side of the tranny and right under the air cleaner box so it has easy access. Appreciate your help.

Tuesday, September 24th, 2013 AT 5:17 PM
  • madmike1735
  • 963 posts

I have the picture, I cant attach it however. Can you send me a private message with your email address? I can attach it in there for sure.

Tuesday, September 24th, 2013 AT 5:28 PM
  • leopopow

Is it the one on the lower right side?

Tuesday, September 24th, 2013 AT 5:34 PM
  • madmike1735
  • 963 posts

Yes, when looking at it from the front of the car, it will be on the lower driver side.

Tuesday, September 24th, 2013 AT 7:06 PM
  • leopopow

Madmike1735, your info is invaluable, thank you. Question about transmission fluid. I was using Castrol import multi-vehicle ATF which says it is a suitable substitute for Mitsubishi Diamond SP II and SP III. Is this true or should I get genuine Mitsubishi Diamond ATF?

Tuesday, September 24th, 2013 AT 7:44 PM
  • madmike1735
  • 963 posts

Upon digging, all I can find is the diamond atf SP II, or diamond atf SP II M. When it comes to fluid, I wouldnt use anything but what is recommended. Stay away from universal fluid. Also, your basically doing a drain and fill, so start with 3-4 qts. Your system holds 8.4qts. However, unless you removed the torque converter, and drained it, you wont use 8qts. Hope this helps.

Tuesday, September 24th, 2013 AT 8:01 PM