KNOCK SENSOR

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse

bran2hot4u

January, 6, 2011 AT 7:23 AM

I am trying to replace the knock sensor on my 2001 mitsubishi eclipse. When going thru emmissions it keeps popping the knock sensor code up. I went and bought a brand new knock sensor only I am having a very hard time locating it. I had my motor replace with a 2000 mitsubishi eclipse motor if that makes a difference. I have searched the internet for days and am unable to locate it anywhere. Noone seems to know where its located. If anyone could please tell me where its at even send a diagram it would be greatly appreciated. My car is a 2001 mitsubishi eclipse gs 2.4 engine.

Knock sensor is located on side of engine block.

roberthatton

September, 3, 2012 AT 2:01 PM

This is a picture from the FSM showing the actual location of the sensor. The wire should have a remote connector just under the radiator hose by the battery. Unfortunately, the 2000 came both with and without the knock sensor, so you may not have one at all. IF your 2000 engine has one, you should be able to see it by looking down the back of the block between the 2nd and 3rd injectors. The only other option, if the sensor doesn't exist, is to obtain a computer from a 2000 without a knock sensor. Don't forget to get the immobilizer as well otherwise the dealer will need to make the 2 work together.
I have 2 2000 Eclipse's (GS and RS) and both are without knock sensors. I've found MANY errors in the FSM while trying to repair a wiring harness.