WHY IS CAR CHOKING WHEN ACCELERATING?

• Stellar
  • 2001 Mazda Premacy

Auto 2000cc

Has had similar issue and had air filter changed but it barely accelerates now. Used to only do it in 3rd gears but gradually got worse an worse on a long trip I barely made it home its choking like power comes in and out and now it barely goes properly.

Sunday, January 8th, 2012 AT 10:51 AM

• cadieman

Remove the 02 sensor testdrive does the performance returns. Start with what fixitmr said first

Sunday, January 8th, 2012 AT 6:14 PM
  • vinnyparry

Hi I ran it again tonight and its smoking as bad as ever I checked the pistons and there was oil on the top again I checked the compretion and its over 200 psi

Saturday, October 20th, 2012 AT 10:17 PM
  • cadieman

Sounds like a valve stem seals. How many cylinders show oil?

Sunday, October 21st, 2012 AT 1:19 AM
  • vinnyparry

Oil on all 4 cylinders the first head a changed all the stem seals it still smoked

Sunday, October 21st, 2012 AT 8:29 AM
  • vinnyparry

If my oil control ring, s were knackerd would that explain oil on top of the pistons

Monday, October 22nd, 2012 AT 8:58 PM
  • fixitmr

Are the plugs fouled and misfiring? What's the history on this problem? Seems like low mileage for ring failure unless you are not original owner and it was mistreated?

Tuesday, October 23rd, 2012 AT 6:09 AM
  • vinnyparry

Hi the history is this I bought the car with some smoke on start up then it would clear my first thought was stem seals so I replaced all seals and gaskets +stem seals the smoking got worse so I did the same again still smoking so I changed the head, the vales were dry when I put the new head on and yet again it smoked please help its driving me mad cheers mate. Vinny

Tuesday, October 23rd, 2012 AT 4:46 PM
  • KHLow2008

Since cylinder head has been done and redone a few times, guess you would have to look at the oil rings.
When replacing the head, was the intake manifolds soaked with oil?

Btw oil in the exhaust system takes some running time to clear and it could be up to a few hours of running.

Tuesday, October 23rd, 2012 AT 5:07 PM
  • vinnyparry

Inlet was wet so I disconnected the pcv so it could not draw oil in that way but it still smoked I have ran it the first time it cleared but the second time it did not but between me running the engine I changed the oil but just made it worse

Tuesday, October 23rd, 2012 AT 5:19 PM
  • KHLow2008

Did you overfill the oil?
Excessive crankcase pressure can result in oil getting to the intake manifold. Was engine heavily sludged when you first worked on it?

Tuesday, October 23rd, 2012 AT 5:34 PM