DID I DO SOMETHING WRONG? WHICH COOLANT CAP IS WHICH? HELP!!!

2001 Mazda Millenia

turtle87

September, 6, 2012 AT 8:35 PM

I have a mazda millenia '01: the engine ran hot the other day so after letting it cool I checked the fluids. Only problem, though major, was that my coolant reservoir was empty. I also opened the 2nd coolant cap by the engine that according to the manual is designed for refilling and flushing the coolant system: it was dry as well. SO I added antifreeze to the reservoir full line and added some to the other spot as well. I ran the car with the flush cap off for a minute or so to get the air out. I put a brown paper bag under the engine to check for leaks. A day and a half later: no leaks, reservoir is full, and the flush pipe appears overflowing. What do I do! Also I have heard that the 2 coolant caps appear identical but if placed on the wrong spot that that could lead to all my coolant escaping. Is that true? IF so which cap is which?

September, 6, 2012 AT 8:45 PM

I would be more concerned as to why is loosing the fluid. The caps are different but with different pressures.

Have the system checked before you do engine damage

turtle87

September, 6, 2012 AT 8:49 PM

I am concerned. I plan on taking it in to get checked, I am just concerned that I overfilled or did something wrong and shouldn't drive it?

September, 7, 2012 AT 12:40 AM

No, you did not do anything wrong. Get it checked asap.

September, 7, 2012 AT 4:38 AM

There is a leak somewhere causing the reservoir and radiator to be dry. The leak seems to be minimal which is why you woun't be able to see any.

You need to check the system for leaks which requires a pressure test and hope that the overheating did not do any major damages.

turtle87

September, 7, 2012 AT 6:26 PM

Thanks for all the advice. I took it to a shop today, they did the pressure test and found a small crack near my fans where the radiator fluid seems to be leaking a small amount from (which is why I never saw signs of a leak), so i'll be keeping a much closer eye on that from now on. There didn't appear to be any damage. Thanks again.

September, 7, 2012 AT 6:58 PM

You're welcome.

Coolant Drain and Refill Chevrolet Tahoe
Coolant Drain and Refill
Coolant Drain and Refill Scion XD
Coolant Drain and Refill Acura MDX
Radiator Coolant Drain and Refill Mini Cooper