FAILED RADIATOR FAN

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee

MP7804

May, 11, 2011 AT 8:50 PM

The radiator fan in my 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo will not come on even though we replaced it. It won't turn on even when we turn the AC on. It just over heats. Any ideas? Please help!

caradiodoc

May, 12, 2011 AT 4:10 AM

To stop the complaints that people could actually hear the fan run, it is controlled now by an electronic variable-speed relay. As with any other computers, that module is much less reliable than simple circuits with standard relays. There are other possible causes of a dead fan but the relay will be responsible for the problem about 95 percent of the time.

I'm not sure where that relay lives on your Jeep, but on minivans it is about half way down on the drivers side of the sheet metal next to the radiator. There are four wires in the connector. Be sure it is mounted solidly with both bolts, otherwise it will overheat very quickly and short.

May, 12, 2011 AT 4:28 AM

Doc, my pal just had similar issues

I "BELIEVE" his is a 2000

The relay was (I think) Passenger side, under the headlight--and under a "Pain in the Butt to remove plastic cover"

He told me the EZist thing for them (him and another feller) to do was they removed the headlight. With a pencil type soldering iron they sorta MELTED-CUT a "Square" out of the Pain in the Butt Cover, directly above the relay. Said it was EZ then! Then they silicon-ed the square back in. When they replaced the relay. Which he said fixin' the cover was really unnecessary to do, but they did it anyway.

The Medic

Radiator Cooling Fan Replacement Chevrolet
Radiator Cooling Fan Replacement Chrysler PT