01 EX 5SPD P0505 CODE

2001 Honda CRV

01crvtopeka

August, 10, 2011 AT 6:41 PM

I purchased an 01 CRV EX 5spd last month. It has approximately 138k on it at the moment. I've adjusted the valves, checked my spark plugs & wires. Recently my ck engine light came on while my idle kept surging between 1000 & 1200 RPM. My mechanic said he cleaned the IACV and adjusted my idle before I had the valves adjusted. After the valves were adjusted I had this idling problem. I have followed the steps to troubleshooting the issues. I disconnected the IACV while the engine was running, and my idle dropped down to 750 RPM. Once I plugged the connector back in on the IACV, the idle started jumping around. I took the IACV off, and the screen was clean as a whistle. I put the IACV back on, and sprayed the TB cleaner and did not notice any changes in the RPM's. I went through and performed the idle relearn process, and also checked my coolant levels which appear to be ok. Does anyone have any suggestions. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to spend $200 on an IACV if that truly isn't the issue.

Thank you

P0505 Code

Trouble Code P0505

1 IMAGE

August, 10, 2011 AT 7:02 PM

I think you have the valves too tight. If it was ok before your valve adjustment, then you need to look at what you did. Double check your work. Make sure you did not leave off any vacuum leaks.

01crvtopeka

August, 10, 2011 AT 7:10 PM

Lol, unfortunately the idle was not ok before the adjustment. It's been a nightmare since I bought the car. Before the adjustment, my idle would get real low, and would almost stall. The CEL came on, and listed the typical misfire codes. I took it to one mechanic, and he said my valves were ok and didn't need to be adjusted. He replaced the rotar, and charged me $300 for the test and the part. My car was still having the idle issue, and I took it to another mechanic. He stated that they cleaned the IACV, and adjusted my idle. He stated that he couldn't find what the problem was, but was still getting the misfire codes. Nobody was listening to me, so I did my own valve adjustment. I set the valves on the loose side of the specs as everyone suggested on the forums. At that time I noticed the idle started bumping up & down, and the CEL came back on. I took it to Autozone, and they said it was the P0505 code and that I need to replace the IACV. So that's where I'm at as of right now.

August, 10, 2011 AT 7:50 PM

You said when you removed the wires, it went to 750 RPM. Little high, should be around 500-550. When the valve was disconnected and the idle went down, was it a steady idle or surging?

01crvtopeka

August, 10, 2011 AT 7:54 PM

It was a steady idle, around 750. The minute I plugged the iacv back in I heard the idle going up & down. I didn't mention this before, but the p0505 code didn't appear until after the valve adjustment.

August, 10, 2011 AT 9:17 PM

The P0505 could have been triggerred when you disconnected the IAC. Clear the codes and retest.

Check for broken wires at the IAC if the CEL is stillindicating.

I agree with ASEMaster6371 that the valves could be the cause of the problem. Were the valves adjusted with cold engine?

01crvtopeka

August, 10, 2011 AT 9:23 PM

Yes, the valves were adjusted on a cold engine.

August, 10, 2011 AT 9:30 PM

What clearance did you use?

01crvtopeka

August, 10, 2011 AT 9:32 PM

.008 for exhaust and.005 for the intake.

August, 10, 2011 AT 9:46 PM

Those are correct.

For the IAC, If the CEL keeps coming on, you have 3 [possible scenarios.

1. Bad IAC.
2. Wiring circuit problem.
3. Bad ECU.

A shorted IAC can cause the ECU to go bad as well so changing one component might not solve the problem.

I believe you can get the IAC from the junk yard at a much cheaper price.

01crvtopeka

August, 10, 2011 AT 9:55 PM

Lol, thank you for verifying I had the correct specs on the valves. I was so upset that everyone was dismissing that the valves needed to be adjusted. Nobody would do it, and they told me that hondas don't need valves adjusted. I was leafy doing it, but I followed the directions and checked the clearance four times before bolting the valve cover. I will check on a used iacv and go from there. Thank you all for the help.

Camshaft Angle Sensor Replacement P0015
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Oxygen Sensor Replacement Dodge Stratus
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right